Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • R785 (and other ultra Di2 shifters) compatible with Alfine Di2?
  • londonjeff
    Free Member

The title sums it up really. I’m fitting a Alfine Di2 (S705) internal hub and have hydraulic discs. 29er but may opt for Mustache bars and if so I’d like drop bar levers rather than MTB levers. The new Shimano R785s would be ideal but I cannot fathom whether Ultegra Di2 shifters (of any kind) will work with the Alfine. There is a Road shifter specifically for Alfine but it’s cable, not hydraulic.

A couple of threads that give opinions on this but a couple of months old and I wonder whether there’s any more definitive information on this out there. There is an answer so someone must know!!

Jeff

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC no, the Alfine is different. I think.

Teapot
    Free Member

Yes you can.

monkeyboyjc

Give madison a ring and ask?

londonjeff
    Free Member

Thanks. Very little clarity from anything that Shimano itself puts out. I guess they like folk to do things conventionally (entire group sets).

But there must be loads of folk who want to run hydraulic brakes, Alfine Di2 hub and drop bars. Or use multiple inputs (the ultra junction box) with the Alfine.

The real issue is the nature of the signal sent from the levers and whether that signal (protocol) is the same for Alfine & Ultegra shifters (leaving the actual shifter electronics to interpret and ‘shift’ accordingly). Dunno.

Cables (and therefore plugs) seem the same.

I’ll post when I find out.

Sorry about the typo in the title. Damn spelling software.

Jeff

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘R785 (and other ultra Di2 shifters) compatible with Alfine Di2?’ is closed to new replies.