Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • R685 shifters with R8000 front mech
  • davosaurusrex

Anyone tried this combo or 6800 shifters with the new Ultegra front mech? Shimano reckon they’re not compatible but then they always say that, don’t they? Tempted by an R8000 as they’re supposed to be so much easier to set up compared to the older design which can be a right faff

simondbarnes

The man from Shimano told me that the new mechs are backwards compatible with all of the older shifters.

The latest chainsets aren’t backwards compatible with the older front mechs as the spacing between the rings have changed.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Yep – got RS685 shifters on an R9000 front mech (purchased before R8000 was announced) and RS505 Shifters on an R8000 front mech and it all works sweet!

Would have gone for the new (cheaper!) 105 level FD-5801 if I could have found one for sale at the time!

Much cleaner looking and easier to set up than the long-arm 11spd front mechs.

A

davosaurusrex

Cool, will go for one then. Haven’t heard of the 5801, good shout. Nearly everything else on my bike is Ultegra though so for an extra fiver think I’ll go for the R8000

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Yeah, they snuck that one in under the radar!

I’ve been really impressed by them – shame they didn’t do that design to start – would have saved me taking a notch out of my mudguards!

A

belugabob
    Free Member

According to the Shimano Compatibility Chart, it’ll be fine.
    Not sure what you found difficult about the 6800 setup, though. The main benefit, that I’m aware of, is the rear tyre clearance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘R685 shifters with R8000 front mech’ is closed to new replies.