Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Quirky DH frame, but which one??
  • Englishmastiff
    Free Member

I currently ride a GTDHi 08, a "different" looking bike to most. I am after a small frame for the alps this summer.
    Don't like the run of the mill stuff, Orange, Specialized, Trek etc.
    I have looked at:
    Morewood Izumi
    Mondraker Summni (i think it's called that)
    V10
    Yeti 303
    Intense Uzzi vpx
    Nothing really floats my boat. I like the Mondraker, but it is new and untested and I don't want to be the first to find out it breaks and the warranty isn't up to much (not that I'm suggesting it won't be)

Love 303's, always promised myself one, but they are a bit old hat now and I don't like the new RD.

Fussy bugger aren't I,

Any Ideas???

leggyblonde
    Free Member

superco silencer

no, I've never ridden one but want want want! rave review in dirt

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Foes RS7?

Perfect UK DH bike. Its what will replace my fly for the 2011 season if I can save up my pennies!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The Uzzi isnt really a dh frame is it?

What about the new Transition? Dont know what its called but it will be solid as **** and wont break (unlike that mondraker which is bound to)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

SuperCo or Brookie – one day I will own a Brookie Racelink!
    Lapierre – looks lovely
    Intense 951?
    Q Bikes Empire (I think thats what its called) – a bike that just looks fast!
    Last (can't remember the name of their DH frame but it looks awesome)

MSP

Empire bikes, looks very different (made from girders in Lancashire), or ancelotti for something even more bespoke and selective. I suspect with either you would be the only one on the mountain with those bikes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Morewood Makulu doesn't look like it would break, and also looks very tasty.

I don't know much about DH bikes really though.

LoCo
    Free Member

check out the K9 Dh001-s or Empire and +1 one the superco! and Brooklyn

schwimoid
    Free Member

Canfield Brothers Jedi

ddmonkey

Transition TR450 or Evil Revolt? Or how about the new Sunn Radical, they look ace….

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

Foes have never really caught my eye, but to be fair, that is a nice bike.
    Intense 951, nice and yes I have considered it
    Empire are supposed to be very heavy are they not? I weigh 10 stone so a small flickable bike is really important.
    I will check out the others.
    Intense Uzzi, no not a DH bike but I only get to ride a couple of times a month at the moment. I have a pitch and the GT. Given the choice, I will always go for the GT. The Uzzi is capable of both FR and DH and is a great Alps tool. I could justify the cost of an all rounder as it will be replacing two bikes. But, then I also do the odd XC ride!.

solarider
    Free Member

Intense SOCOM, and available for a great saving right now at Rutland.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Socom's also have a tendency to crack like a bastard on the on swingarm i know at least two people that have been through several rear ends.

The 951 is a proper DH race bike.

That Foes will probably outlast most stuff – my fly is a 2002 and still going strong.

solarider
    Free Member

Thanks for the warning on the SOCOM. I was seriously considering one at that price, but I don't care how good a warranty is, I don't want stuff to break in the first place.

kimbers

id take a gamble on the mondraker summum myself, looks lovely to my eye

Exclusive:New Mondraker Summum

pinches
    Free Member

Empire AP1. With Ti cane creek double barrel, obviously.

belongs to rudiboy off here

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Actually at that price i would be tempted, its half the price of a 951 or RS7 and they are pretty good on the warranty. Plus there's no guarantee that the later models also suffer from the cracking problem.

Dino
    Free Member

Uzzie or foes for me

akira

New Rocky Mountain Flatline looks pretty nice, not as swoopy as last year, always liked Rocky Mountains.

Three_Fish
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'm becoming more and more convinced that it makes f*** all difference what frame you have (I've been shopping/mullingit over for a while)

Dirt are having a love-in with anything that runs BOSS suspension (this years CCDB, next year's will be Elka)

That and any bike they can run in some way different to the recomended setup. A V-10 with less sag (making the last 2" nigh on imposisble to reach), or a marin trail bike with 50% sag (so it's riding on the bump stop).

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

A must say a V10 is the only other bike than a foes im considering myself. Its the only bike ive got on other than my fly that has felt right from the word go.

Rickos
    Free Member

Scroll down towards the 2nd half of this page. Take your pick!

http://dirtmountainbike.com/dirt-100/2010/page/2/

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I love my Intense 951 which is amazing for DH days and I've just built up an Uzzi VP for kicking about in the local woods and for riding the Alps/Mega/Utah this year. The Uzzi is a pretty impressive climber and feels very nice on the descents…can't wait to get it out on the mountains.

I'd certainly recommend the 951 for DH…but the Uzzi has good potential for a wider range of riding if that's what your after?

I would get out a test ride a few bikes.

Notter
    Free Member

That Superco is the definition of fugly imo!

bennyboy1
    Free Member

How about the K9 DH001? I've ridden this and it's the best tracking suspension design I've ever tried, doesn't bob at all and yet sucks up all the bumps perfectly, Cane Creek Double Barrel rear shock also very tasty!

2010 Dirt 100 K–9 DH001–S

HansRey

all absolute rubbish 😀 Instead, i recommend a brooklyn machine works racelink, if you have the cash handy.

chakaping
    Free Member

There's an ex-demo Evil Revolt medium frame going for £1800 at Bikeactive, btw.

simonm
    Free Member
    Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The 951 suffers the same flexy back end of most Intenses unfortunately.

You really need to try & ride a few bikes. I wouldn't discount anything on weight like the Empire, they ride very very nicely. You can still build them up around ~40lbs.

wheelz
    Free Member

I've built up one of these for my Alps trip later in the year.

Frame: Intense 6.6 SS
    Fork: Rockshox Lyrik
    Shock: Fox DHX5.0

Thought about a full-on DH bike, but I'm not really a DH sort of rider. More XC jey-core, but trying to be a bit more freeride gnarly (and failing at the moment)

coogan
    Free Member

I really like the new Glory's. But probably not quirky enough.

Mintyjim

I've just become the importer/distributer for Karpiel and Duncon frames. We're launching properly in the next couple of months. I have a short size Disco Volante in stock – review coming out in either next months Dirt or the month after. Previously seen in MBUK Super Bikes.

Disco Volanté Frame Details

Priced at £2225, and I can do you some free stuff too – pedals and headset. Alternatively there's our 'cheaper' brand, Duncon who do the Cane Corso at a considerably cheaper £1199 (again with free stuff for the black model) or an even better price on the white which has two paint chips from transportation on the inside of the chain stays. Both in small.

Duncon cane Corso Frame Details

All frames have a 2yr warranty and are definitely different and quirky!

If you're at all interested feel free to give me a call – 07920293280.

Cheers,

James

letmetalktomark

Balfa BB7

didmatt
    Free Member

Mongoose BootR Team?

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Hob Nob have you every ridden or sat on a 951? its rock solid…no lateral flex at all. Even the new Uzzi which doesn't have the same rear end as the 951 or new SS is pretty stiff.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

0pt1cal – yes, one of the regulars in my riding group has one. I looked at it and have ridden it a number of times, it was on my shortlist as a replacement for my Sunday.

Granted its not as flexy as the Socom, but it still has a lot of lateral movement.

Personal preference and all that though, it doesn't bother some people, but it did me.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

If your worried about flex than Foes are by far the stiffest rear ends of any bike i have ridden.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

For the record, ALL Mondrakers carry a lifetime warranty for the original owner.

Fabien Barel ran the same frame for all the world cups last year with no issues at all. That's gotta mean something no?

Richie

solarider
    Free Member

wheelz. Just ordered an Intense Slopestyle in red on offer at Rutland for £1100. Going to fit RS Lyrics on offer at £425 from CRC. Bargain! Can't wait to build it and ride in the Alps this Summer. Yours looks great! How does it ride?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Quirky DH frame, but which one??’ is closed to new replies.