• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by lcj.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • quiet full suss bikes?
  • peteyb
    Free Member

i've got a specialized pitch which is a amazing bike but it noisy going over rough stuff, anyone else have the same problem? any tips for making a it quieter? I know sam hill uses all kinds of foam to quiet his bikes. Are there and silent full suss bikes out there?

njee20
    Free Member

Surely the only real noise is chain slap? Chainstay protector?

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

You could start by telling us what noises it's making perhaps?

IamSam
    Free Member

Orange 5!

titusrider
    Free Member

Marin 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Just what sort of noise are you on about – if its chain slap, thats easy, but are you talking about frame noise ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Noise is something that the mag Dirt always goes on about and for sure, once you've made some effort to silence the bike, you really do notice it.

That self adhesive velco is your friend here; I cut strips so that you can line the chainstay with the fluffy side before then putting a chainstay protector over it. That gives the chainstay more cushioning and helps absorb the noise.

You can also add strips to the inside of the drop out, just above where the chain would be in the smallest cog and on the underside of the chainstay close the the BB area where the chain will slap upwards.

If you were being relly fastidious, you could also put a small tab on the bridge between the two sides of the front derailleur. But now we're probably getting a bit OCD 😯

highclimber
    Free Member

mine rattles a little bit. I think its the brake pads as they just fall out if I take the wheel out to transport(Hayes Stroker Trails).

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Cables under and in front of the handlebars, brakes shifters etc, tend to knock and rattle about a bit, that's about the only thing I notice on my Pitch, and other bikes?

peteyb
    Free Member

i think its the gear/brake cables slapping the frame, its not the chain i've got two chain stay protectors on the frame, it just always noisy, guess you wil always hear my coming!

Olly
    Free Member

Orange 5!

REALLY!!?

ECHO ECHO Echo echo echo…..
    monocoque frames are like soundboxes….

FWIW, IMO, a quiet bike is a happy bike, and if mine is rattling or creaking or knocking i wont ride it as the sound of mechanicals doing things they shouldnt be goes right through me.

never have any excess noise from my trance…

J0N
    Free Member

Non shadow type dérailleurs have a habit of hitting the chain stay on FSR bikes. My Norco did this till I got a shadow, which doesnt hit the stay.
    Loose items like cables and chains can be damped. Any large volume, thin walled frames will make the sound echo. IME Orange bike's large monocoque frames are some of the noisiest bikes I've ever had the displeasure of hearing.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Swapping to a Hammerschmitch, which lets you go to a short cage rear mech and a shorter chain, as well as adding the old innertube as a chain stay protecter, has made mine nearly silent on all but the really really rough stuff. Now all I can hear is my mates gaining on me……..

Noise reduction wasn't the reason I put it on, so I guess its "a bit" expensive to get shut of a bit of chain slap.

lcj

IME Orange bike's large monocoque frames are some of the noisiest bikes I've ever had the displeasure of hearing.

It would be rude not to mention the original Santa Cruz Super 8 at this point. You could have a fairly good sound-off between that and a 222/3/4!

Dirt had a good feature on Sam Hill's old Sunday a while back. It included things like lining the inside of the chainguide with inner tube and putting outer cable lengths in rubber hose. It would be nice to have that much spare time!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘quiet full suss bikes?’ is closed to new replies.