Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Quick straw poll – Jacobs Ladder, clockwise or anticlockwise?
  • poisonspider
    Free Member

As title.

I’ve ridden it both ways before, just gauging opinions.

dazh

Definitely Clockwise. No brainer surely?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Clockwise. As @dazh says thats a no brainer surely ? (Inhave only ridden it that way and can’t see why you’d do otherwise)

vincienup
    Free Member

Not sure what the loop described for clockwise/anti is; but I normally ride Jacobs Ladder as the final descent of a loop starting at Edale in the carpark – “Kinder Enduro” I think is the Vertebrate book name for the route.

I imagine it can be ridden up but I think I’d need to alter my definitions of “fun” to have a go… 🙂

mildbore

Me and my mates always ride it clockwise and are always surprised at how many people are riding it the other way. Haven’t done that since the 90s when it was all about the climbs

welshfarmer

I have never been there or even know that much about it, but for some reason I have it in my head that clockwise is the way to go. If I ever get around to doing it I know it would be that way round for some reason 🙂

fathomer

Clockwise for me as well, though can’t say I’ve ever done it the other way, can’t imagine it’d be as much fun!

dannyh
    Free Member

Clockwise. I believe that some weird people still bang on about anti clockwise being the ‘classic’ way of riding it. What you soon realize is that this point of view probably came about when bikes were so shit that descending Jacobs ladder wasn’t at all fun and trying to clean it as a climb was what let you wave your (far too visible through Lycra) Willy about.

I have ridden the route once anti clockwise just to see. Never again. It really is nowhere near riding it the other way. The descent from Edale Cross always seems like it might be good when you are struggling up it, but in reality it is just loose kipples at too shallow a gradient to be much fun. Roych the wrong way around is just depressing, Rushup has been vandalized by DCC now, but I would still prefer to descend it.

As above, clockwise is a no brainer.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Tend to do it both ways. Just depend if I’m starting from Edale or from Backtor Bridge.

It is probably more entertaining to ride it down to Edale than to Hayfield but the second one is longer.

Cheers!
    I.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I remember in to 90s, the “norm” was up jacobs and down chapel. we reversed it one day and it was horrible. However, I think it was around 2007, we had really bad weather in the summer and jacobs shifted a lot. that combined with the resurfacing of chapel and the evolution of bikes and now up chapel and down jacobs is the more entertaining way to do it.

Clockwise. Interesting as a night ride also.

BadlyWiredDog

Either way is good. There is no right answer. I prefer going up Jacobs as you then get a longer downhill on the other side and can extend it to take in Middle Moor via Kinder Res plus you avoid the hideous loose climb out of the ford on the Roych towatds South Head. But I do the other way round too. The Rushup Edge sunken track is now a pretty rubbish descent, but the grassy stuff up along and towards Mam Tor is good fun going that way, ditto the descent to Hollins Cross then down to Edale – better that than Chapel Gate which is dull.

Edit: what I’m saying is go up Rushup, then ignore Chapel Gate which is rubbish in either direction, instead follow the bridleway along the ridge, drop down to Mam Nick, short but brilliant climb up around Mam Tor, down to Hollins Cross, then lefthand drop to Edale then along the road to the lane that leads up to Jacob’s.

BadlyWiredDog

Also, the climb up from Hayfield is pretty unpleasant these days. You either push up the endless rubble that the National Trust gifted to us a few years back on the direct route or climb up the grassy thing above the reservoir then hit the really boggy, not very sustainable singletrack across to the main Jacob’s bridleway. And even after that it’s quite an unpleasant, rubbly sort of meander upwards. Anyway…

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Like both but totally dependent on the conditions.

Good weather I prefer the grassy descents of Rushup to Mam Tor and the path from Jacobs to Kinder Res.

Bad weather I prefer clockwise. Rockier descents and you can miss out the bog of Rushup via Chapel Gate.

Everyone should do it clockwise at least once but, I’m not going to lie, I prefer good weather and anti-clockwise with a Kinder Res, Middle Moor extension. Feels like there is more descending and there are more bends.

mintimperial

Clockwise, duh.

Brown
    Free Member

Both are good, but I prefer anti-clockwise. Jacob’s itself isn’t a great descent in either direction, but Roych Clough is way better anti-clockwise. It’s also easier to add the campsite descent to Hayfield this way, and you’ve got a choice of descents after Rushup.

I’d have always gone anti clockwise until they flattened Chapel Gate. Now I do occasionally go clockwise.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Anti-clockwise for me too

thejesmonddingo

I find it a long push up from Edale,I can ride down it though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Quick straw poll – Jacobs Ladder, clockwise or anticlockwise?’ is closed to new replies.