Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Quick smartphone question.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Due for an upgrade and am lookingfor a phone that not only makes calls but also:
    has video conferencing capability.
    can be used as wi-fi hotspot.
    I think they’re the main features I need.
    iphone 4 is hot favourite as my photo hosting site has an app for the Apple stuff.
    Samsung? Might go for the tablet thingy if it can be used as wifi hotspot…
    Anything else I should consider.
    Looking to buy as handset alone….. No Contract Needed.

Ta muchly. 😀

hp_source

I’ve got both a HTC Wildfire & an iPhone 4 (work and personal). I’m no big Apple fanboi, but the iPhone is way better, much slicker, more responsive, amazing array of apps etc.

Also iOS 4.3 update coming soon lists the ability to turn devices into hotspots.
    Info here….

HTH

Drac

Ok let’s get this out the way.

“iPhone all the way”

“Hahaha Apple Fan Boi’s get and Adnroid better more battery life and no need to use iTunes”

“What’s wrong with iTunes”

repeat the above at least 15x and then add

“Nokia N8 Windows 7 phone, there’s 6 Apps now and another 3 promised by 2019”

drfrasiercrane
    Free Member

If I am not mistaken, the HTC Desire already has the ability to become a wifi hotspot!

donsimon
    Free Member

If I am not mistaken, the HTC Desire already has the ability to become a wifi hotspot!

Does the HTC have video?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Desire can do hotspot, but only has a camera on the back of the phone so pointless for video as I assume you need a camera on the screen side of the phone.

donsimon
    Free Member

Desire can do hotspot, but only has a camera on the back of the phone so pointless for video as I assume you need a camera on the screen side of the phone.

Exactly, which is what the iphone 4 has!
    A quick Google tels me that the Samsung tablet is hotspottable… 😀

GrahamS

Be warned: The built-in Video Conferencing (FaceTime) on the iPhone 4 only works over wi-fi
    (i.e. it doesn’t let you do video calls over 3G) plus it only works with other FaceTime devices (other iphone4, iPad, MacBook).

However there is a Skype app that manages to do proper video calls, though it’s not quite as slick.

TheFlyingOx

Apple stuff generally works, which is a plus, but no tethering yet.
    Android 2.2+ can do tethering.
    Most of the new release Android phones have front-facing cameras. Best of the bunch are probably Samsung Galaxy S II or SE Xperia Play, although SE are utter gash when it comes to Android updates.

GrahamS

Apple stuff generally works, which is a plus, but no tethering yet.

Actually it has tethering already (via USB or Bluetooth).
    Acting as a wifi hotspot is coming in iOS 4.3, which is at Gold now and due out in the next week.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve just been informed that the wifi hotspot is coming in the next update. So phonewise iphone is winning.
    The phone we tethered with yesterday was the Nexus S, but it doesn’t have video. Grrrr!
    Can the Samsung Tablet be set up as a wifi hotspot.

GrahamS

Regarding tethering/hotspots: keep an eye on you telco contract, some of them (e.g. O2) charge extra to enable these features, despite you already having a data plan on your contract.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought wifi hotspot functionality was a common app for most phones?

Joiku rings a bell.

glenh
    Free Member

Regarding tethering/hotspots: keep an eye on you telco contract, some of them (e.g. O2) charge extra to enable these features, despite you already having a data plan on your contract.

Only on iphone.

GrahamS

Whereas 3 apparently allow tethering for free and have genuinely unlimited data plans from £15

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/38935/three-unlimited-data-on-payg

*makes note to check when O2 contract ends*

donsimon
    Free Member

From my point of view, I’ll be buying a contract free phone and using the SIM card from the dongle that I already have, hopefully, negating any data limits and having the bonus of a highspeed upload. That’s the plan. So this puts the Samsung Tab out of the running.

GrahamS

Might put the iPhone 4 out too as it takes a Micro SIM so a normal SIM won’t fit without taking a Stanley to it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Poo! Time to look at the Nexus then…

robert27
    Free Member

Yes Nokia N8 is perfect suites to your need, Iphone 4 is good but honestly telling I had iphone 4 its 4.0 but one day i connected it to my laptop and was slept, in meed night its upgrade in 4.2 automatically. and for long time since 4.2 is available in market I have to use my iphone 4 only as calculator, seriously from that day i think its risky to use iphone 4.

[‘Oh, and I work for a phone shop’ – thanks for that, Mod}

GrahamS

Yes thanks “robert27″…

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got both a HTC Wildfire & an iPhone 4 (work and personal). I’m no big Apple fanboi, but the iPhone is way better, much slicker, more responsive, amazing array of apps etc.

Comparing a Wildfire with an iPhone – a bit of a mis-match?

Obviously the Desire HD is out of the question, but not yet looked at the S posted above.

I’d normally go for a Desire over iPhone, but would be happy with an iPhone in your situation.

Cougar

Desire classic definitely works as a hotspot – I’ve done it. Video / camera I don’t know, never use it.

I’d avoid anything with “Samsung” and “Android” in the same sentence. Fantastic hardware, disgraceful support, no updates.

donsimon
    Free Member

Fantastic hardware, disgraceful support, no updates.

Support not a problem from Samsung. I’ve moved back towards a tablet or netbook. I had a quick play of the Samsung 10″ tablet a couple of weeks ago, I might wait for that to be released.

Who or what TF is robert27?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Quick smartphone question.’ is closed to new replies.