Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • quick release wheel in sliding dropouts..?
  • plus-one

Hi all..what will i need to run standard quick release wheel in my genesis io frame(to stop any movement).. any info help appreciated..

😀

Anthony
    Free Member

Just use the supplied grub screws?

Worked fine for me.

simon1975

The wheels pull out if fixed with QR's on my two Kona's with sliders so I use bolt-up hubs now. That's because the dropouts aren't actually vertical but are angled forward slightly to make it easier to get the wheel out with tension on the chain. A pal of mine has the same issue on his Voodoo Wanga.

Didn't realise the Genesis had sliders, is that a new frame?

simon1975

Hmm I'm now SURE that the IO has track ends… In which case you'll be wanting a chain tug 🙄

plus-one

i have the genesis io which is singlespeed specific..has track style dropouts(horizontal to allow chain tension) think the genesis io has been around a few years now..i have set of wheels to use but not bolted type so to save having to source wheels i'm hoping to utilise these..

🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

I have horizontal dropouts on an Overburys and it has never been a problem can't see why any others should cause grief if you do them up tight enough and my fixies are ok without tugs one of them has quick release wheels as well

plus-one

thanks guys will set up and try out then see how it goes..

🙂

chela
    Free Member

Instead of QRs, to add tightness.

I'm using a pair and for £9 squid or whatever they are then it's an easy fix if QRs aren't holding the wheel tight enough. Control Tech ones are great too, though a fair bit more dough.

plus-one

good shout will check em out if needed.. 🙂

titusrider
    Free Member

I have a simple with trackends tried the halo allen key QR's worked better but still kept slipping (mostly under braking from the disc) Tightened them up more and they snapped!
    ended up going for bolt through hub after all

monkeychild
    Free Member

On my io I have a surly tuggnut and those halo hex skewers (don't need the xl ones)
    Does everything proper job 😀

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Titusrider… I've just had exactly the same experience with the Halo hex skewers – was switching wheels on my 1×1 earlier today (was running them with a tugnut on the rear) and managed to completely shear the rear skewer – didn't think it was particularly overtightened either – not much more than finger-tight just using a crappy minitool and I'm not generally that cack-handed. Have put a normal QR in for the time being, but may go for a nutted axle if it slips.

Based on that I'd avoid the Halo skewers…

I ran a regular QR skewer in a Rohloff hub and horizontal dropout Blur frame, even though Rohloff don't recommend it.
    I managed to break, bend or wear out all sorts of other components, but I never had the wheel move.

Anthony
    Free Member

To re-iterate, the chain tension grub screw on the Io will catch the axle-end, so a QR really will be fine as it is doing nothing other than holding the wheel in place, the grub screw takes care of wheel slipping duties.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘quick release wheel in sliding dropouts..?’ is closed to new replies.