Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • quick release makes wheel wobble
  • tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

bought some kinesis cx disc wheels, the front quick release skewer that came with them is wierd – tried a couple of wheels with it and they wobble similar to a loose cup and cone, if I swap it for a shimano quick release they’re fine

has anyone experienced this before? I can’t work out why this would happen

Jamie
    Free Member

Had the same issue with set of Kinesis CXdisc. Assumed the supplied skewers were just crap, so switched to XT skewers and didn’t think about it again.

…for the record, this was on a Croix De Fer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had a shimano qr fail/wear out and do that, new qr sorted it.

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

the kinesis skewer is brand new, and it isn’t coming loose on a ride, it just isn’t holding the wheel secure in the first place, no matter how hard I do it up there is always 1mm side to side play at the rim

I can’t just use the shimano skewers because they’re on another bike so that means I have to buy a new set…… grrr extra cost, I wonder if the seller will swap them? seeing as I have paid for a wheel set with 2 working quick releases and not got them…..

Fantombiker

Skewers come in different diameters. It may be you have been sent the wrong ones for that hub.

Jamie
    Free Member

the kinesis skewer is brand new, and it isn’t coming loose on a ride, it just isn’t holding the wheel secure in the first place, no matter how hard I do it up there is always 1mm side to side play at the rim

Hmm. Never had that problem, more the wheels coming a bit loose when clamped up.

Sounds like something is knackered, wrong, or missing.

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

as a note, this is the second kinesis wheel I have tried it on, I sent the first back because I thought it had loose bearings, it couldn’t have been a coincidence when the second one arrived like that so I tried the shimano skewer off my mountain bike and it was fine

I just can’t work out why a skewer that can clamp with sufficient force would still leave the wheel wobbling like that

trail_rat
    Free Member

Are the ends of the axel below the outside face of the drop out ? Or is it flush/above ?

Also are the kinesiss qrs flat or concave on the drop out contacting face. I know shimanos are concave

If your axel is flush or protruding from the drop out then the qr could be in contact with that instead of the drop face.

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

Skewers come in different diameters. It may be you have been sent the wrong ones for that hub.

I can tell you that the end of the skewer that you loosen will come right off if I try unscrew it enough to get it over the lawyer tabs to take the wheel off, so maybe it isn’t long enough

still road and mtb front hubs are both 100mm right? can’t see it being a ‘wrong’ size skewer, and even so when it’s done up I can get it to clamp down hard enough that it shouldn’t matter

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

Are the ends of the axel below the outside face of the drop out ? Or is it flush/above ?

Also are the kinesiss qrs flat or concave on the drop out contacting face. I know shimanos are concave

If your axel is flush or protruding from the drop out then the qr could be in contact with that instead of the drop face.yeah it was the only explanation I could think of but I checked the axle and it’s way in there, there’s no way the QR could be tightening against it, also I don’t know if I could describe the skewer as concave but it’s definitely indented where the QR springs sit, only the rim of it contacts the drop outs

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

ok after trying tightening it up as tight as I possibly could (I have severely bruised my hand!) it holds the wheel solid, I guess it’s just a weak QR

I knew shimano made good quick releases, and that external cam QRs are inferior, but I didn’t realise just how much of a difference until now, the shimano one can do up tighter than this with almost no effort at all, I cannot keep using the kinesis one with so much force because of the state my hand will be in after every use, it must actually be dangerous to ride with a QR this weak

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘quick release makes wheel wobble’ is closed to new replies.