Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Quick question – if I swap brakes can I use the previous discs and adapters?
  • topgunsteve
    Free Member

I am currently running Avid Elixir 5s on my trek, I need to get some new brakes, if I were to buy some shimano disc brakes is there any reason why I wouldn’t be able to use the avid discs and brake mount that I currently have?

rocketman
    Free Member

No real probs have mixed and matched various Shimano/Avid/Superstar they all work together. If anything Shimano calipers are more ‘universal’ than Avid’s finest.

The only thing I would add is that Shimano calipers run the pads slightly more outboard than Avid and when combined with Avid rotors you may find that the initial bite is quite dramatic as the pads move a lot to begin with. Shimano’s rotors – at least RT76s – are a little bit thinner than Avid’s and when used with Shimano calipers they have a more progressive feel.

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Cheers rocketman, that will save me a few £££

topgunsteve
    Free Member

I can upgrade the discs at a later stage, I take it the adapters will be fine then?

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup the proppa Avid adaptors have a little indent in them to clear the pad removal tab on Juicys but otherwise they’re all the same.

Superstar’s adaptors are curiously well made for £5. Supplied with quality mounting bolts as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Quick question – if I swap brakes can I use the previous discs and adapters?’ is closed to new replies.