Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Quick question about Shimano 10sp bits
  • hypnotoad
    Free Member

Now that there is talk about 11 and 12 speed stuff I’m thinking about upgrading from 8 speed. 😀

What I want to know is is it all compatible with each other? A lot of it is labelled as Dyna-Sys, so I’m guessing the pull ratio should be the same.

Right now I’m running a Zee clutch mech, can I use and SLX shifter and SLX cassette with Zee mech?

Finally are all 10 speed chains compatible or does the chain HAVE to be Shimano? Can I use a SRAM or KMC chain instead as I like the powerlink system.

breadcrumb

Yes the Shimano 10spd stuff is compatible. I’m running a Zee shifter, SLX mech and XT cassette with a SRAM chain.

XT cassettes can be had for not a lot more than an SLX if you keep an eye out. Especially if you don’t mind gathering bits a bit more leisurely.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m in no rush to get the bits, so will keep an eye out for an XT cassette as they are a little lighter. Nice to know they play well with Zee and Saint bits.

I forgot to ask if there is much difference in shifting performance between Deore, SLX and XT shifters? Or is weight the main difference between them?

jamesoz

Not sure about Deore, SLX and XT but the Zee shifter is horrible compared to the Saint shifter in my opinion.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Not sure about Deore, SLX and XT but the Zee shifter is horrible compared to the Saint shifter in my opinion.

After a little more research the shifting does vary qite a bit between models, for example some shifters allow multiple up/down shifts per push.

That said, the Saint shifter looks like a good option, I didn’t know it was iSpec B so I’ve added it to my shortlist 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Saint are very good. Saint and XTR are the best. Then XT. Then SLX. Then Deore. Spend on the shifter IMO.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Ok, Saint it is. 🙂 The reviews and feedback seem to indicate Saint is worth the extra cash which isn’t much extra IMO.

So far in my basket I have:
    Shimano Saint M820 1×10 Speed Trigger Shifter
    Shimano SLX HG81 10 Speed 11-36 Cassette
    KMC X10-93 10 Speed Chain

I looked around and the cheapest I could find the XT cassette for is around £35 while the SLX is £21, and the weight difference is around 30g so I may go with SLX unless I can find XT for less.

Does anyone know if the KMC 10 speed chains come with the master link thingy? The 8 speed ones usually do but it isn’t the 90’s anymore 😀

ads678

Xt cassette is £27 @merlin or £28 @ rose.

andy4d

Bike-discount.de do xt cassette and chain together for about £44, not sure what P+P

mildbore

KMC chains come with the linkythingy

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I forgot about the German shops, will check out the prices on them also, thanks for the help everyone 🙂

KMC chains come with the linkythingy

Perfect will get it ordered!

iain1775
    Free Member

Biggest advantage of an XT cassette over SLX is being able to remove the 15 & 17 cogs to fit an expander
    If you think that’s something you might do then spend the extra on the XT cassette

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Quick question about Shimano 10sp bits’ is closed to new replies.