Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Quick food question
  • andrewh
    Free Member

I was sitting in a cafe the other day looking at the salt pot, as you do. It occured to me that salt is the only thing we eat which was never alive. My mate instantly came up with water. But then we couldn’t think of a third.
    Can anyone else add to the list?

Drac

Honey

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Stop trying to chat up the OP Drac. Abusing your position of trust as one of the Modz could get you into all sorts of trouble.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Bogeys

Drac

🙂

Bicarbonate of Soda

Getting really dirty now.

andrewh
    Free Member

LOL at Darcy.
    Interesting one Drac, nice try but I’m going to rule that out on the basis that nectar is from a living organism and that is the main ingredient.
    [EDIT] Seond attempt much better.

Drac

Your game but what about the other one?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Milk?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm. Well.

There are biological things that have not been alive like honey and milk as above.

There are things that are synthesised but were originally organic, like vinegar.

Then there are things that are synthesised but were once extracted from organic things like MSG

As for things have never been biological in any way – quite a few in modern times of course, thanks to factory foods and so on. But I can only think of two other things that is are traditional non biological ingredients – bicarbonate of soda and sal ammoniac, which is ammonium chloride used to make salmakki in Finland. It’s a very unpleasant kind of liquorice.

andrewh
    Free Member

Sorry Darcy, probably didn’t phrase the question very well. Should have said not alive or from a living thing. Going to rul out milk on the same basis as honey.
    Bicarb is an excellent answer though, as is sal ammoniac, looking for more like that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, we’re down to minerals then really aren’t we.

Of course, all the molecules and stuff in us were once not alive too. But we’re probably headed from trivia into philosophy here…

sunnrider
    Free Member

Big mac.

Drac

Anyway everyone knows a quick food and the fastest is scone.

andrewh
    Free Member

Well, we’re down to minerals then really aren’t we

Pretty much.
    Water
    Salt
    Bicarbonate of soda
    Sal ammoniac
    Are any others actually used as a foodstuff or ingredient in their own right? Most minerals will just be trace elements in things which were once alive (eg the iron in spinach isn’t alive but iron isn’t really a food) salt and sal ammoniac being the exceptions in that they are a food ingredient.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Quick food question’ is closed to new replies.