Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Quick easing of saddle soreness?
  • joebristol

Probably been asked somewhere else before but a quick search didn’t bring this exact thing up.

I’ve been doing a bit more cycling again recently, but not enough yet to push through the initial saddle soreness the day after a bike ride.

My issue is I rode today, but have another ride planned tomorrow. Worried it’s going to be sore from the start which may ruin my ride.

Is there anything I can use to pre-empt this / ease it in advance?

Ibuprofen gel / tablets etc?

Garry_Lager

Generic sore aris then just get on with it and stand up whenever appropriate. Take ibuprofen if you’re a complete fanny.

Actual saddle sore brewing up then cancel ride and rest up. Need to nip these in the bud and not let them get out of hand as the can be debilitating.

joebristol

I don’t actually have sores – I’ve definitely not done enough cycling for that!

Maybe I just need to open up a can of man the **** up.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I find that even though it hurts initially on the second ride it soon eases up and you don’t notice it after a few miles. So yes. Man it up! 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are you talking about tender sit bones or abraded skin?

If it’s the sit bones, zip up your man suit. If it’s skin, try some sudocrem but it must be the paste. The cream is just bobbins.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

start slowly don’t ride tomorrow give your ass a chance to recover. It will toughen up. But if you suddenly increase mileage then it will be sore.

ninfan
    Free Member

IME the best preventative and treatment is a good hot relaxing bath as soon as you can after a ride, with an emollient bath oil like dermol or doublebase

JoeG
    Free Member

montgomery
    Free Member

When I first started cycling I wore padded shorts and had terrible arse pain issues. Switched to unpadded shorts/leggings, problem went away. I’m not convinced wearing a sweat soaked bacterial sponge next to your ringpiece is a good idea.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Is your saddle the right shape for you , I,ve varied saddles over the last few years and it makes a huge difference,
    Presently the saddle of choice is my fabric scoop shallow, the radius has also been good for me on my more enduro bike

csb

Just completed an 850 mile ride over 2 weeks that started with an arse sore on day 1 (due to shorts chamois seam rubbing). I ditched those shorts for new endura ones, and used Assos cream during the day, with metanium nappy cream at night, which got me through.

joebristol

My normal saddle suits well – I have sdg bel air on all 3 of my bikes.

Yesterday I demo’d a bike with a different saddle – and I’m demo’ing a different bike today with another different saddle.

At the risk of being ridiculed anyone know if you can use ibuprofen gel on the gooch?

funkmasterp

Get one of those mahoosive padded saddles

joebristol

I’ll ask Bird if they’ve got a saddle like that they can put on the demo!

scaredypants

generally sore arse – unless the skin’s abraded or really sore superficially, there’s probably nothing you can do

If abraded skin, chamois cream will help, as will sudocrem overnight IMO (or metanium etc as posted up there). I use sudocrem as chamois cream for longer rides, though others tell me that the proper stuff is way better

If you’re developing a proper saddle sore, stay off the bike until it resolves

almost every cycling website will have a page on sorearse disease

(and take your own saddle with you for the demo ?)

jekkyl

does anyone else get like little spots with puss and blood in? 😕 around the seating area. never pleasant.

joebristol

On the latter – not that I’m aware of. Can’t say I’ve ever examined that area to check though….,

onlysteel
    Free Member

You need to cut down on this ‘cycling’ malarkey, mate.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

does anyone else get like little spots with puss and blood in? around the seating area. never pleasant

Thats infection, Canesten Cream will resolve. Go to your local chemist and explain whats going on 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Quick easing of saddle soreness?’ is closed to new replies.