Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Quick Car Tyre size numpty question (numpty content)
  • back2basics
    Free Member

205 60 r16 is the current tyre, need some seriously budget front tyres, what other sizes could i get and keep the “size” the same… can i drop down to 15’s , and if so what should the other number be?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You can’t get 15s as the size of your wheel is 16″. To be honest, I can’t imagine a tyre of that size being expensive anyway surely.

jam-bo

part worns if you are that bothered about price.

piesoup
    Free Member

You will need 205 60 R16 size tyres.

back2basics
    Free Member

ok thanks all.

Northwind

You can vary a little and keep a totally usable tyre- for instance you can often go slightly narrower but with a higher aspect ratio, or wider and lower, to get a tyre the same height and therefore rolling radius, and there’s a range of tyre fitments allowable for each rim size.

Some folks say this causes insurance problems if you deviate from the OEM fitment but I’ve never found that (in fact some people say that if you fit any tyre apart from the original, that’s a “modification” but I’ve never found that either) There are tyre size calculators available online.

So, I can’t remember offhand the sizes but on my Focus, I switched to a marginally different size that ended up being about £15 less a corner, and was functionally the same. And frankly my experience suggests that you can buy tyres from 2 different manufacturers of the same claimed size, and get a bigger difference than you get between 2 sizes from the same manufacturer.

sbob
    Free Member

To be honest, I can’t imagine a tyre of that size being expensive anyway surely

16″ is a crap size for price, 15″ or 17″ are normally much cheaper as they are far more common.

johnners
    Free Member

16″ is a crap size for price, 15″ or 17″ are normally much cheaper as they are far more common

I’ve never found that, loads of family size cars (Mondeo, Vectra, Passat) have most of their models with 16″ wheels. The 60 profile is probably less common than the 55 though, and 55 would probably be OK on a room that takes 60.

sbob
    Free Member

Certainly used to be the case.
    I could get four new 17″ tyres and wheels cheaper than four new 16″ tyres for my old Jag.

DrP

New tyres for our octavia, all Kuomo ku31s..
    17″ rims = £85ish
    16″ rims = £65

I prefer the look of the old bigger rims though 🙁

DrP

mactheknife

Perfect thread, perfect timing. I have 2 tyres in the garage that have 215/55 R16 97W

What the hell do these numbers mean?? 🙂 For info i am just about to order new alloys for the car so just trying to make sense of it all. Ta

sbob
    Free Member

215 is width in mm
    55 is the profile as a percentage of the width
    R16 is the wheel radius
    97 is the load rating
    W is the speed rating

I think.

johnners
    Free Member

Some of the measurements can be a bit notional but AFAIK it’s
    Width/height as %age of width, rim diameter, load rating. So 205/55 will be a slightly lower profile than 205/60.

Edit: Or what he said except it’s diameter not radius, but less neat and I forgot the speed rating!

nealglover
    Free Member

Someone who doesn’t understand tyre sizes obviously,

But thanks for playing 😉

Lots of other sizes will also fit without any problems at all, as mentioned above.

The 215/55/16 offered above being a perfect example.

mactheknife

Cool, cheers all 🙂

Jake25

Here check this link Tyre Size It will help you work out how to change the R16 for a R15 but not mess up your speedo too much. As long as you keep the % difference under 5% you should be ok but the closer you can get it the better.

br
    Free Member

Based on the questions you’ve asked, please just go to a reputable garage and ask for new tyres.

And be very aware that if you replace a quality tyre with a budget tyre you may find that if you don’t compensate for this while driving you could easily end up in a ditch…

Here check this link Tyre Size It will help you work out how to change the R16 for a R15 but not mess up your speedo too much.

What, like new wheels?

Jake25

Yup, get some cheap steel wheels, or MyTyres.co.uk will sell you tyres on wheels, Steel wheels only.

piesoup
    Free Member

Someone who doesn’t understand tyre sizes obviously,

But thanks for playing

Lots of other sizes will also fit without any problems at all, as mentioned above.

The 215/55/16 offered above being a perfect example.
    Yes, I do actually know how tyre sizes work thank you very much.
    He wanted to keep the size the same, not something you can do when fitting a DIFFERENT size tyre.
    Thank you for playing 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

He wanted to keep the size the same, not something you can do when fitting a DIFFERENT size tyre.

read the OP again, and notice he asked….

what other sizes could i get and keep the “size” the same…

Everyone else knew what he meant by putting “size” in inverted commas

Did you not ?

piesoup
    Free Member

Hence the 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Do you put one of those at the end of every post just in case.

Insurance policy in case you need a get out.

piesoup
    Free Member

Yeah, better be safe than sorry!
    Different one this time… 🙄

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Quick Car Tyre size numpty question (numpty content)’ is closed to new replies.