Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Quick access SLR camera bag for cycling-Talk to me
  • kayak23

I’m off on a trip in July, lots of days in the saddle in a beautiful couple of countries. 😀

The terrain will be a mix of road and rough track and I’ll no doubt be wanting to take lots of photos with my SLR camera (Nikon D90)

I won’t be having to carry luggage or too many spares so am really just after a solution to carry my camera but a solution that allows me quick access to it without stopping, undoing chest straps and backpacks etc should an interesting Llama or something run out into view.

I thought about sling-type camera bags such as this…

…which appears to have a waist strap. I know from experience that riding bikes with sling-type bags, they have a tendency to swing round to your front. Would the waist strap stop this? Is it a hassle to get to your camera with it?

On another tack, would I be better off looking at some sort of on-bike thing such as a handlebar bag? Any recommendations?

Looks a bit massive to have in front of you…It would maybe squish all my hoses/cables..

What does STW use?

grum
    Free Member

simonofbarnes who used to post here had a bag that I think attached to the chest strap of a Camelbak type rucksack. That’s what I use too (but with a Micro 4/3rds camera) and it’s the best spot for being able to get the camera out really quickly so as not to miss any opportunities.

An SLR is getting a bit big to carry on a chest strap for me.

kayak23

Yeah, I defo don’t fancy my SLR hanging on my chest… 😕

stevemakin
    titusrider
    Free Member

advantage of a bar bag is you can get stuff out on the move if you are feeling brave.

you are right that it can be a pain if you have the older style shifters with the cables across the front.

How to Have a Large Handlebar Bag with STI Shifters

d45yth
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member

Yeah, I defo don’t fancy my SLR hanging on my chest…
    It depends how fast of an access you want…I wear mine on my chest (depending on what kind of riding I’m doing) using a Lowepro Toploader 50AW. I wouldn’t want to use a bigger one than that though, so it would depend on the size of the lens/es.
    Fixed to the bike is a bad idea, you won’t be on the bike when you’re looking to take that perfect shot.

kayak23

Fixed to the bike is a bad idea, you won’t be on the bike when you’re looking to take that perfect shot.

Very good point…

vrapan
    Free Member

In same place and thinking about the photosport. Don’t want to take pics on the move but I do want to be able to take the camera out quickly and easily out the bag and back in. The side loading of the photosport looks ideal. I will only be carrying an Xe1 with a 35 or 18-55 lens which is quite small compared to most dslrs

stevemakin

I’ve got mine loaded with an XPro1 with 18-55 attached and the 35mm f1.4 in the sideloader, could probably fit another lens if needed

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got the Lowepro Toploader 50AW and I’ve been meaning to get round to buying the chest mount for it.

d45yth
    Free Member

Dibbs – I’ve just been using 4 mini-carabiners to fix mine to the straps of my backpack. I only use the chest mount when I’m carrying things in the backpack that I need regular access too…not often when biking as my pack has side pockets.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve just been using 4 mini-carabiners to fix mine to the straps of my backpack.

Doh!! just ordered one off ebay 😳 think I’ll try the carabiners too though.

haydenw
    Free Member

How about one on These?

£12.99 from Decathlon?

kayak23

That might fit an slr in it if I steamroller it first 😉

Quite like the look of the Lowepro Photosport 200.. Pricey mind.

paulevans
    Free Member

I bought a Lowepro Photosport 200 for my Nikon D300S. Excellent piece of kit. Hold the camera very securely, loads of space for other stuff. Most recently used mine to carry camera, tripod, pump, 2 x spare tubes, stainless flask for coffee, water bladder, waterproof, keys, phone and sandwiches. Weighed a ton, but still steady and stable when on my back and managed to ride 32 miles on Lakes trails!!

Highly recommended.

Bez

Chest-mounted always worked fine for me with an SLR. Lowepro thing attached with krabs as above. Obviously less viable with a big tele lens, but it’s less of a distraction in reality than you might think.

tlr

This, http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/aqua-zoom.html with the additional chest strap is what I use with a full sized slr (7d) and decent (heavy) lenses.

Can be used on its own or worn with a rucsac. Quick access, waterproof, and well made.

stumpy01

Thinktank digital holster with the chest harness accessory.

It’s what I use for my d80.

kayak23

Think tank looks pretty big to have on your chest for cycling…

Can’t help thinking it would do my nut in bouncing about in my lap when in a forward cycling position…

stumpy01

They do different sizes and they have a zipped section that extends if you take a long lens. I’ve got the smallest one and that fits my d80 with 18-135 or 70-300. It is just about one the limit of fitting, but I don’t think the d90 is much (if any) bigger.

You can set the vertical position where the camera sits and pull the straps in to hold it tight.
    I’ve used mine at CyB & for a couple of days over in Spain with Ciclo Montana in mid to high 30’s heat and it was fine.

I’ve got some photos on Photobucket that I can link to when I get onto a computer. My one is the original version, with a more convoluted strapping system. The newer one is a lot more of a well thought out product.

cp

I’m another exponent of 4 caribiners holding a Lowe Pro toploader of some sort onto a camelbak straps – it works really really well.

I hate distractions & stuff dangling off me, but honestly, on climbs it hangs away from your chest enough to allow air underneath, but not enough to bounce around. It really isn’t as much of a distraction as you think and it sits quite high up, so no swaying into legs etc…

It’s great for crashing as you tend to go into a ball anyway and protect it.

That think just above looks like it hangs far too low for on bike use – it would be hitting your legs all the time.

kayak23

This photo is off STW… Simon Barnes?

I think what slightly puts me off is you are encased essentially with bags. The trip I’m doing I don’t actually have to carry too much beyond a few bits for repair and some water so I think the thing with the backpack and carabiners attaching a front bag may be a bit much for long days…maybe.

kayak23

Just seen this from the older thread too.

Same principle as the first picture I linked to. What I’d like to know is, when you sling it round onto your back, does the waist strap stop it from working its way around the front when cycling..

cmjdavies
    Free Member

Sling ones will make your shoulder ache after a while.

I use a Dakine Reload (very big but holds all my gear) for bigger shoots but tend to ride with a Dakine Drafter when just taking a couple of lenses. I’ve had to put a limiter on the bottom of the zips to stop it opening all the way but other than that it’s a great pack with a 3ltr water bladder included.

stumpy01

What I’d like to know is, when you sling it round onto your back, does the waist strap stop it from working its way around the front when cycling..

That is the idea. I’ve got a Lowe Pro Slingshot, but have never used it for cycling, as the back has thick padding that would get pretty grim.
    I can’t say for sure whether it actually works.

As cmjdavies says – the Slingshot does make my shoulder ache if I have my D80 in it with the 18-135 on it and the 70-300 stashed in there too.

Anyway – here are the pics I mentioned above. Someone else was asking about this ages ago, so i got my OH to take some pics in the garden…

D80 with 18-135 next to the bag…

Me wearing it in my decorating clobber!

On the bike:

Like I said above, the newer harness looks a lot better than the one that was available when i bought mine. Annoyingly, the markII version of the bag, has the clips in a different position, so the harness isn’t compatible with my bag.

annebr
    Free Member

Or a waist strap like this crumpler?

Light Delight Hipster

grum
    Free Member

stumpy can we have some more pics of you with the camera bag on, but naked? Finding it difficult to judge scale correctly with all that distracting clothing. Thanks.

davosaurusrex

I’ve just bought a Crumpler banana hammock for my D5100, going to put it in that and then put it in my Camelbak Hawg and hope for the best! Not tried it yet, hoping not to crash and land on it…..

stumpy01

Grum. You’re sick….

Reported.

(tempted to oblige but aware of the pitfalls of posting certain types of image online)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Quick access SLR camera bag for cycling-Talk to me’ is closed to new replies.