Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Questions about Gas and Electric cookers
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

I need a new cooker. I have a gas one but want to move to electric.
    Is it easy to disconect the gas myself or do i need a Corgi person also
    is it easy to connect a electric cooker myself or are wires and hospitals involved.

Thank you 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

Is it easy to disconect the gas myself

😯

If you have to ask…

beefheart
    Free Member

It’s a cakewalk.
    What’s the worst that could happen?

mrsfry
    Free Member

So do i just turn the handle off at the grey gas thingy and disconnect the cooker? Do i need to pull the hose off or do i just tape it up.

Thank you

beefheart
    Free Member

If it’s a bayonet type fitting you can do it, if not get someone corgi registered.
    Have a look at some how to youtube videos to see what they look like.

(Disclaimer- I am not an expert)

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Get someone in.

bails

Don’t do it, electric hobs are rubbish.

Also, it sounds like you might blow your house up.

spooky_b329

Mine was just a push and rotate to release bayonet fitting, self sealing and with a lever just to be sure. I think if you remove the cooker permanently you just fit a blanking plug with gas PTFE tape (not the white stuff) to be safe.

I didn’t give it a second thought as I’d moved the cooker several times whilst decorating, its not rocket science 🙂 If you trust yourself to connect a patio heater/BBQ, and can smell, and use a water soap solution to check for bubbles, why would you need a gas engineer?

(I wouldn’t leave any sort of hose on the fitting, it should be blanked off at the rigid pipework)

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t do it, electric hobs are rubbish.

+1.
    Having just gone from electric to gas, I have no idea why anyone would prefer an electric hob.
    Personally I wouldn’t touch it. What if the valve doesn’t hold and you disconnect it?

spooky_b329

Find the gas valve by the meter just in case?

Daffy

Our induction hob is wonderful when compared to any other electric hob i’ve ever used. I was firmly in the “Gas” camp until using this.

jeffl

Parent’s recently got a new induction hob. I’ve got a gas hob and still prefer it to the induction, although the induction is better than other electric hobs I’ve used before.

As others have said both gas and electric are fairly easy to do yourself. But, please don’t take offence, you don’t appear to be that clued up on it. For example do you have the correct rated feed for a new electric hob? I’d suggest paying for a professional to do it rather than bodging it and something horrible going wrong.

cranberry
    Free Member

Induction is the way to go – powerful and controllable and they have a wipe clean surface.

The only downside is that you might need to run an extra circuit from the consumer unit in order to handle the load, which adds to the cost.

tinribz
    Free Member

Curry’s included free connection for our leccy one. And he did a proper test of all the sockets while he was on.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Check you have the correct power supply to support an electric cooker first. We had to have a gas hob and electric ovens on ours as the supply wasn’t large enough when we put a new kitchen in and would have meant a larger cable from one end of the house to the fuseboard at the other and a new fuseboard. I chose the easier option !

chewkw
    Free Member

I prefer gas … turbo gas that is for wok.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. I think i will let a grown up disconnect the cooker (don’t want to talk about it) 😳

My washing machine has decided to go into the light and keeps on tripping my fuse box and has a strange electrical burning smell 🙁

Looking online at connection and removal of both, Currys charge £70 cooker connection 😯

mefty
    Free Member

Gas costs a lot less for an equivalent unit of energy than electricity, there will be an efficiency loss but not sufficient to make up the price differential.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

No idea why someone would like to cook on electric rather than gas….

mrsfry
    Free Member

My gas cooker frightens the ‘cow droppings’ out of me. Those flames that you see on North Sea Oil Rigs can only dream of being like my cooker.

It also has 666 in it’s serial number 🙁

carlos
    Free Member

Whomever you get to disconnect the gas oven make sure they are ‘Gas Safe’ registered, this replaced ‘Corgi’ in 2009 and will ensure they are up to date with legislation and are currently valid to carry out the work

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Why not replace the broken bits of the gas cooker then?
    I had to cook on electric for a couple of years after our last move. Then it took months to sort a gas hob (less than 0.5% of houses here have gas, not much call for gas hobs) was bloody horrible using electric.
    Induction is ok, apparently.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

The current wife cant smell gas, only mine, apparently, so we wanted to avoid the risk of blowing the house up by going electric and also a ceramic hob is much easier to keep clean.

jon1973
    Free Member

Our new house has an induction hob and it’s fantastic. It boils water faster than the electric kettle, so we now have a nice cooker top kettle. Had gas before, but never used a conventional electric hob.

br
    Free Member

Looking online at connection and removal of both, Currys charge £70 cooker connection

No doubt to cover the time for when they connect up the cooker and your fusebox ‘blows’, and you haven’t let on that it also does that with your washing machine… 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice and easy to clean electric hobs, plus they can simmer nicely unlike our gas one 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Wait! I just found the low flame adjuster screw! I can simmer!

mrsfry
    Free Member

b r – Member

Looking online at connection and removal of both, Currys charge £70 cooker connection

No doubt to cover the time for when they connect up the cooker and your fusebox ‘blows’, and you haven’t let on that it also does that with your washing machine…

?MEOW!
    ??

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Questions about Gas and Electric cookers’ is closed to new replies.