• This topic has 42 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mcgoo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Question for the singletrack staff.
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

What bikes do you actually own?

stevied
    Free Member

Ooh, good question. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

And how many did you pay for and how many did you just not return after demon/ get as a sweetener/freebie*?

* Politics of envy question

qwerty
    Free Member

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Bike Magazine (as in motorbikes) regularly features bikes owned by the staff. In contrast to the biggest, fastest, technological wonders they’re usually writing about the staff owned bikes are generally quite utilitarian or semi classics they’re forever trying to get to run properly.

A similar situation here?

GregMay
    Free Member

*gets cup of tea*

Houns

And which did you pay rrp/trade for

stevied
    Free Member

Cougar

I don’t know, but I’m sure if you bought the magazine you’d find out quite quickly.

qwerty
    Free Member

GrumpyDave – Member
    What bikes do you actually buy?

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

luffy105
    Free Member

Well I’d seriously hope they did either get cracking discounts or freebies for their own bikes. Every job has to have its perks.

I don’t know much about the bike industry but I’ve a cupboard full of skis to say that certainly went on in the wintersports industry when I was in that game.

Sadly my career perks now would only be good if I needed a hole dug in the ground cheaply….

postierich
    Free Member

I get free stamps at christmas perks of the job 🙂

Bregante

Sorry to disappoint some of you but I know from a recent conversation with one staff member that I paid slightly less for my last new frame than he did for his identical one.

Dave
    Free Member

Shall I start?

Kinesis Evo4 Cross bike
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Santa Cruz Highball alloy
    Cannondale MT2000 Tandem
    Kona Singlespeed (currently mothballed)
    Kona Aha (currently mothballed)

Dave
    Free Member

Oh and a NOS Trek 69er singlespeed frame that I may get round to doing something with

Dave
    Free Member

Sorry to disappoint some of you but I know from a recent conversation with one staff member that I paid slightly less for my last new frame than he did for his identical one.

That wasn’t me I hope ;o)

Bregante

No!

BigJohn

I can’t see the relevance of the original question, unless as Junkyard implies it’s an envy-fuelled one.

My main sport is windsurfing and most of the windsurfers I hang about with don’t own any kit themselves. That’s because they own/work for Boardwise, Tarifa Spin-out, RRD, Club Mistral or Nielsen.

Doesn’t stop them being good, passionate and honest about a) the sport, b) the kit c) what i should buy next d) how shit I am and why am I still bothering.

kraftyone
    Free Member

thought kitesurfing had all but killed off “pole dancing”? 😉

iolo
    Free Member

Everyone likes different things. Some like arse up head down 75 mm hard tails while others love seven inch full sus numbers.
    They ride what they like.
    Is they get them cheaper/free why not?
    There was a time when I could get stuff trade plus vat as my friends ran a bike shop. Sadly that’s no longer the case but I only bought what I wanted.
    Why should someone envy the ST staff? If they get stuff like this good for them. If not, they still buy bikes they want.

GregMay
    Free Member

Dave – I’ll have the 69er if you don’t want it 🙂

BigJohn

thought kitesurfing had all but killed off “pole dancing”?

No, it just got rid of all the dicks.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ Yay! 😆

I was sponsored by a Windsurfing company a few years ago. You do have to put a lot of time and effort into promoting the Brand and the Kit, they expect returns you know.

Also, one major Brand doesn’t give kit away even if yo are sponsored, you have to buy it at a discount then hand it back at the end of that model year and do it all over again the following… thats providing they still want you on their books.

If STW towers didn’t get some sweeteners then I think they’re doing it wrong, whatever guise the benefit be.

Anyways, they’re all Northerns, so shirley they all ride..

neilwheel
    Free Member

I think it’s a good question, if just out of interest, not envy.

Then we can ask for photos and slate the gardens.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’m guessing that the OP’s question was born of genuine curiosity as to the personal preferences of the staff and whether or not they still believe the hype after having had more ‘bums on saddle’ experience than most of us will ever get.

nickc

I can’t see the relevance of the original question

really? not in slightest bit curious as to what the writers and editors and staff on a bike mag might ride themselves?

Having access to loads of flash bikes and kit, I’d be very interested to see what they ride themselves, would make for a very interesting discussion I’s have thought

BigJohn

Because having access to loads of flash bikes and kit would skew their decisions on what to own themselves.

nickc

Because having access to loads of flash bikes and kit would skew their decisions on what to own themselves.

Hope so 😀

I don’t have access to those bikes, I need to rely on reviews, I would hope that having access to those sorts of bikes would lead them to make the sorts of decisions that we have to make, but with the added advantages of having almost unlimited ‘test’ rides. They can buy safe in the knowledge of what works and what doesn’t

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Any one else care to contribute?

Bez

*gets a bit sad about a mothballed A-Ha*

z1ppy

Bregante – Member

You got your last frame stupidly cheap (from that french site), and if it was some-one whose name fits in with “fish &”, that you spoke to then I’ll stop watching the “used” page of a certain (mentioned above) manufacturer for it to be recycled.. Doh!

Dave
    Free Member

Dan’s got a Trek Slash, a Nukeproof Snap and a broken Demo 8 (but that’s a sore point)…

Dave
    Free Member

*gets a bit sad about a mothballed A-Ha*

don’t be it’s had a good life…

chipps

That I’ve bought and paid for:

Soulcraft hardtail
    Cannondale MTB tandem
    Did have an Orange Gyro, recently traded for a Segment
    Brand new Rock Lobster (steel) road bike

I do have other bikes on loan, long term whatsits, ex-test bikes and other things. In some cases they’re unsaleable, but solid frames (scuffed samples repainted with car paint and so on) that I hang on to for product testing and in other cases they’re very nice bikes that I’m borrowing and still waiting for the call to return them.

cliffyc
    Free Member

chipps 🙂

stick_man

I didn’t realise Northerners rode clementines

Speshpaul

“in other cases they’re very nice bikes that I’m borrowing and still waiting for the call to return them. “

Its a bugger when you change phones.. 😆

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

I don’t own a mountain bike 🙁
    I have:
    2013 Croix de Fer
    and one of these

chipps

Oh, plus some retro stuff. A 1995 Fuquay Ritchey Logic complete bike, Caroline Alexander’s Klein ‘cross bike, 1991 Salsa A La Carte frame and a few more things.

mcgoo
    Free Member

Dave – Moderator
    Shall I start?

Kinesis Evo4 Cross bike
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Santa Cruz Highball alloy
    Cannondale MT2000 Tandem
    Kona Singlespeed (currently mothballed)
    Kona Aha (currently mothballed)

My apologies for stalking you Dave but Ive been looking through your posts, trying to find out what you think about the Mondraker Vantage that you had built up before Christmas. Ive just ordered a frame and the build will replace my 2005 Kona Caldera but looking at the above list I’m left wondrering have you ditched it??? Would be very interested to hear your thoughts!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Question for the singletrack staff.’ is closed to new replies.