Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • question for the shop mechanics
  • peachos
    Free Member

What tool would a bike shop mechanic use to remove frame pivot / hub bearings?

I know the hammer & screwdriver method works (have done it) but if you needed to do a lot of frames what is out there to make the job a piece of pi$$?

Thinking blind bearing puller, but is there something better?

Can they also be used for hubs etc too?

Ta!

z1ppy

I’m not a bike mechanic… but when I asked an engineer to get dead bearing out, a blind puller was what he used..

IME a blind puller is down right the most useful tool for doing jobs like this, once the inner race has fallen out. Admittely you can usually do without one if a bearing is in ‘good’ condition or can get to it (outer race) with a screw driver as you say. Stuff like cartridge wheels hubs are the most difficult IME, and where a blind puller comes in handy & a screw driver and hammer is not an option.
    Not a cheap tool though, and when I need one the other day I needed 32mm+ size (which might be unusually large), which none of the ‘ebay’ blind puller kits cover as std (+32mm sizes are avaiable if you search the web).

The engineers at my old works sorted out a number of bearing for me with one of these, but for once in a blue moon job, it might be worth locating a local engineering firm or garage with one, rather than buy one yourself.

peachos
    Free Member

cheers zippy!

i’m looking into buy one for my club so it would be a shared purchase & thus far more affordable. have seen sets for around £100-£150.

so assuming that the bearing is in good condition and both races are still in tact would a blind bearing puller simply drag pretty much any bearing out simply and easily?

z1ppy

What a great idea, a group buy of a decent very useful tool..

I guess so, no reason why it shouldn’t. I only needed one when thing had gone wrong (as I used hammer & screw driver otherwise) … but if I had one I’d use it for everything, as there simple to use, basically foolproof (other than making sure the jaws are fully open and won’t slip) and little chance of slipping and damaging other stuff (unlike a hammer & screw driver)

peachos
    Free Member

thanks for your input mate.

anyone else anything to add?

stumpyjon

I actually bought myself a bearing puller kit last year, due to finally getting around to using it this week to remove all the bearings. £ 150 might be a lot but it’s still cheaper (and less stressful) than knackering a frame.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Back in the day when I was working in the workshop we used to use anything which will push them out squarely, even a punch tool and hammer (as long as you hit evenly on all sides) and then one of these babies to fit the new sets;

http://www.madison.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?vertical=Cycling&tier1=Tools%2c+Maintenance+%26+Repair&tier2=General+Purpose+Handtools&catref=WMTL4083

If you rig it up in certain ways, you can use this as an extractor, too.

Not cheap though.

peachos
    Free Member

that is beatufil stevie!

kaesae
    Free Member

peachos, if you give me a shout I will give you a hand with getting the right tools and techniques as well as the knowledge to use them.

If you want that is 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘question for the shop mechanics’ is closed to new replies.