Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Question for others with crate trained pooches.
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Our Molly sleeps in a crate every night and has done since she was a puppy. She doesn’t go upstairs at all at home. Ever. She travels with us to most places (apart from visiting friends who aren’t really dog people) and we take the crate with us…which is a pain in the arras to say the least. This year, if the weather’s a bit better, we hope to take her camping quite a bit.

Anyone here ever let their pooch cuddle with them when in a strange place and then had problems getting him/her to sleep in the crate when back at home? Do pooches need the same rules no matter where they are or can they understand that once they’re home, then normal rules apply? Say, if camping, then snuggling up with us in the tent is ok? Sorry, might be a stupid question. But, it’s STW and I thought it might be worth throwing it out there.

I await the mickey taking along with any helpful answers anyone can give. 🙂

petrieboy

Ours doesn’t use the crate at home anymore but you can be damn sure the crate comes camping with us – balls to having a soggy doggy bouncing around the tent!!
    Realise that in no way answers your question!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ours don’t use the crate at home either, although their bed is in the same place. The car cage is big enough for them both to sleep in, so camping or other people’s houses they go in that (moved indoors or into the tent) – too much temptation to be naughty otherwise. As long as she knows you’re nearby she’ll be ok I’d have thought. Perhaps don’t wash so she can smell you better?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Interesting that you guys aren’t using the crate anymore. We wondered if we’d do that with Molly but tbh she seems to like it. At night when she’s had enough of the day, she puts herself to bed in it. 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

We only stopped using it because it was getting in the way in the house (two dogs now both adult size) otherwise we probably still would.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Our two had a crate in the house (large) and another in the car (snug). The snug one went with us to my parents friends etc. The large one we stopped closing the door at night after 18months or so – the door was taken off a year or so later and became the dog cave (big blanket over it) for the next five years. Then. and I really can not remember when, the crate went, prob 3-4 years ago. They have their beds which they will share! But they only sleep on them in the house.

But any where will do!

Ours did not come up stairs for the first ten years plus, but now wander up to tell us they want to go out, but they are 12 now.
    I loved taking them camping as that was one of the few times we all did snuggle up. Only happened when camping and did not seem to lead to other probs.

As ever on dog threads – let see pics!

ps i am a great fan of the New Skete Monks’ book Raising a Puppy, there the crate is really for early days and to be their (the dogs) place.

Basil

Both ours crate trained.
    Basil (GWP) loved his crate only took it away due to the size.
    Sybil (GWP cross with Hungarian Vizsla)crate trained for puppy/toilet training. Fantastic.
    Then one day wife lets both upstairs into the bedroom “because they look cold”
    Will either of the the fur faced fiends now sleep anywhere but with us!
    This double act will get on the bed and Sybil will try to get in the bed.
    Leave them downstairs now results in whine, barking.
    Keep them in the crate and out of the bedroom!!!!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Mine was crate trained, but we no longer use it. She sleeps in her own bed, but in a strange place we will put her bed in with us, then revert back to normal when we get home, never had an issue.

anagallis_arvensis

Kea hated the crate and slept in her kennel outside she then was indoors for a while when it was cold and snowy. This happend when our son was born and she never seemed to go out again. Sleeps with us when camping and doest seem to have any trouble when we get home she did a couple of weeks when only 6months old.

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

Ours is crate trained, and car, camping or at friends thats where she sleeps. She puts herself to bed in it when she is tired. Seemed easier for camping than having a possibly wet, muddy dog all over our sleeping bags. Did try taking the 2 man tent and her without the crate for one night, but none of us slept as she wouldn’t settle!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Question for others with crate trained pooches.’ is closed to new replies.