Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Question for IT devs – Git
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I get that you clone a repository and work with it locally, and that you stage things before you commit.

However the Git online docs seem to suggest that you can simply commit to a remote repository in the traditional style without cloning. I think I would like to do this in our situation but people online seem to think you HAVE to clone and work locally.

Anyone use it?

oldnpastit

I use it, I don’t think you can commit directly to a remote repo.

Where does it say that you can in the docs?

GrahamS

Not used it but been through the (fairly crap) Code Academy tutorials on it and they very much went with the clone it locally approach.

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually I think I may have mis-read this:

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Distributed-Git-Distributed-Workflows#Centralized-Workflow

Never mind 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

Yeah – basically all git operations are done on a clone of the repo. This is a “good thing” – it means you are not tied to good internet for ability to work.

Of course, you don’t have to clone the whole repo – you can, if you choose, do a “shallow clone” only containing the history of the branch you select. Maybe this is what you were thinking of?

There are situations where you want to work on a repo without checking it out and even that is possible via such online tools as http://prose.io (I’m not an expert on that, tbh, just heard about it) or use some of the web editing tools built into things like GitHub.

Rachel

TheBrick
    Free Member

In the git manual there is a sectiin called something like git for CVS users which sounds like it could be useful to you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

My large employer has finally got its shit together and rolled out a suite of collaborative working tools for all the stuff we do when not doing stuff on clients’ systems. Fantastic, it is.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Question for IT devs – Git’ is closed to new replies.