Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • question for garmin 510 owners
  • andcarson
    Free Member

I’m considering a 510 on the basis of the Bluetooth integration. Basically I very rarely have access to my own PC and love the idea of being able to upload info and download routes onto the device from an android phone or tablet.

Is this realistic? I’ve heard some bad experiences with the Bluetooth connectivity and wonder if I’d just be better off with a cheaper 500?
    Cheers in advance

chudsy
    Free Member

Not had an issue with mine, not tried to download a route via Bluetooth though. Really easy to upload automatically to garmin connect and strava, and rather than tell the wife where I’m going I just start a live track.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

The support forums are full of woe but mine works very well.

Had mine for about 15 rides so far, not yet connected to the PC.

Links to my Nexus 5 via Bluetooth.
    Upload a course created online to the device from the phone.
    Follow courses works well.
    Live track the course via Bluetooth so someone knows where I am.
    Upload finished ride back to Garmin Connect
    And recently, built in Strava syncing too.

So it’s a yes from me, but buyer beware and all that, buy from a reputable seller with warranty support.

Amazon had a great price when I got mine.

snownrock

I’ll echo the positive comments of the above. The 510 is fantastic, Bluetooth integration works really well. Just a shame about garmin connect but that’s another story.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bluetooth is very hit and miss for me. Mostly miss. I wouldn’t buy it for Bluetooth support. It just doesn’t work most of the time. At least not on later firmware.

What I bought it for was Glonass support (Russian satellites). In theory more accurate due to additional satellite support and they claim good for in trees. Turns out I’ve had the odd ride slightly off at times, some segments won’t match in Strava. Still seeing a bit of straight lining in places. No different to on the phone basically. Advice is though to ensure it’s got a good fix first. Don’t just wait for it to beep it has GPS fix, which is very quick. Check the system GPS menu and ensure it’s got all or most satellites, or just wait a good few minutes with it out in the open before starting the ride. A lot of reported data loss has been when fix isn’t quite right. Also, haven’t tried 1s sampling which might help with straight lining. Currently have it set to Smart.

And then there’s general ride data loss. Not sure it’s the 510 though. I’ve nailed it down to either the use of Garmin Express to sync, or powering off the device after saving a ride before uploading. I’ve eliminated both and not losing rides any more.

Personally though , I wish I’d bought a 500 for a fraction of the price, or an 800 for similar price and includes mapping. More mature products.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘question for garmin 510 owners’ is closed to new replies.