• This topic has 106 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Question for First Aiders/(Para)medics/etc, and anyone with an opinion..
  • RealMan
    Free Member

You (on your own) find a mountain biker lying off the trail on his back at the bottom of a big drop, the bike lying quite far away (indicating a fairly high speed crash).

It’s a windy day, help is at least 30 minutes away, and he’s wearing a lot of armour and layers, and a full face helmet. You are worried he may have a neck/spinal/head injury, but can’t tell if he’s breathing or not because of the helmet. He is completely unresponsive.

Do you take the helmet off, and if so, how?

william
    Free Member

No.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You will be able to tell if he’s breathing, (helmet or not – Feel, listen, get close), and if he’s not, it will become apparent very quickly.
    If he’s not breathing, No1 priority is to preserve life, so the helmet comes off fast and you get on with it…..

But you gotta get help FAST in either case. CPR is useless without proper medical intervention

Drac

Look, Listen, Feel.

Do not take the helmet off.

geoffj

You work out if he is breathing by getting in very close and listening, feeling for the breath.

If he’s not breathing remove the helmet and attempt mouth to mouth ?

midlifecrashes

Just gaffer tape his mouth and nose, if he splutters, he is (was) still breathing.

geoffj

Look, Listen, Feel.

Do not take the helmet off.

What if you think he isn’t breathing?

Drac

If he’s not breathing remove the helmet and attempt mouth to mouth ?

Why would you need to remove the helmet for mouth to mouth?

Drac

If I knew, not think, he wasn’t breathing see above.

bassspine
    Free Member

yes. If he’s breathing he’ll be more likely to survive, so you need to know.

Obviously don’t just rip his lid off wildly, but if he chokes on his own tongue he’s dead, whether he has a broken neck or not, and you can solve that if you know it’s happened.

If there are two people around you can safely remove a helmet and keep the neck supported. ICBA to google it, but it can be done.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As I said, No1 priority is to preserve life. If you can’t do that with the helmet on, you take it off. If you don’t he’ll die anyway

Obviously there’s other things you can check before moving him like a blocked airway, which might fix it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why would you need to remove the helmet for mouth to mouth?

He said full face Drac. I’d try without taking it off first. Maybe you could do it, maybe not.

RealMan
    Free Member

For everyone who said “Look, listen, feel”, you clearly are not very good at absorbing information.

It’s a windy day

he’s wearing a lot of armour and layers

In this situation, the only way you will be able to tell if he is breathing or not is by removing the helmet. Or waiting for the autopsy/for him to get up.

For the people that said do remove the helmet

Drac

yes. If he’s breathing he’ll be more likely to survive, so you need to know.

You can do that without taking the helmet off, even a full face.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If I knew, not think,

That’s the key. Once you KNOW, and you will know, then you can act accordingly

Drac

In this situation, the only way you will be able to tell if he is breathing or not is by removing the helmet. Or waiting for the autopsy/for him to get up.

Really, guess I’ve been lucky then over the years. As I’ve always managed to tell if people or breathing in some really bad conditions.

Drac

Aye missed that bit, well that’s when it’s more tricky. It can be done but breathing comes, first then C spine so if your 100% sure they need resuscitation and done all the other checks then yes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

For everyone who said “Look, listen, feel”, you clearly are not very good at absorbing information.

It’s a windy day

he’s wearing a lot of armour and layers

Yes I am, I read it carefully. You’ll be able to feel it, wind or not. Layres don’t stop the chest rising. You can put your hand near his mouth/nose. You can shield him with your body and hands and put your ear within an inch or two of his mouth, and one hand under the chinbar will stop the breeze.

RealMan
    Free Member

You’ll be able to feel it

Sorry, I thought for a moment that this was my hypothetical situation. Please, take over.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

the bike lying quite far away (indicating a fairly high speed crash).

See, that doesn’t necessarily indicate a crash. He might have walked back up the trail to pick something up and had a heart attack!

From your info it’s not 100% certain he’s crashed.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I can’t believe that nobody has gone to check the bike is OK yet 🙄

Drac

I can’t believe that nobody has gone to check the bike is OK yet

Your mate loads that into you car whilst they seek help.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry, I thought for a moment that this was my hypothetical situation. Please, take over.

Tell me what difference taking the lid off makes then? It’s still the same process to check breathing. If anything I think a lid would HELP you work it on a windy day, by shielding his face for you!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Is the bike ok?
    //edit – Must learn to read more carefully 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is the bike ok?

That info is not available in the OP. You only know he’s quite far away from it. By the sounds of it, you get to the casualty before passing the bike.

bassspine
    Free Member

arguably the first thing to do is dial 999

RealMan
    Free Member

bassspine, what if you’re alone?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

bassspine, that link looks like it’s aimed at the pros who have been trained how to do it. I wouldn’t touch it unless I had to.

I have actually atteneded a motorcycle accident too, and fairly recently. But it was obvious from the swearing that he was breathing OK. His leg however, was not so good. I kept him on the floor where he was.

Drac

bassspine, that link looks like it’s aimed at the pros who have been trained how to do it. I wouldn’t touch it unless I had to.

It’s not our guidelines they come from JRCALC. The technique is the same as though.

project
    Free Member

Squeeze his nose gently, and see if he responds to pain, if he is breathing and alive he should move.

Also why would you wantt to take his helmet off, everyone knows after a crash you should send the helmet back to the manufacturer for a replacement.Also it may not be your size.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

bassspine, what if you’re alone?

Then you need to know if he’s breathing, and you need to get help FAST. VERY FAST. He’ll die if he’s not breathing.

If he deffo wasn’t breathing I’d start the CPR (becasue I’d not know how long he’d been down) to get some oxygen in, then get help within a minute or so (Assuming I have phone signal) But if he’s not breathing you won’t ‘cure’ him on your own

RealMan
    Free Member

Squeeze his nose gently

He is completely unresponsive

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s not our guidelines they come from JRCALC. The technique is the same as though.

Fair enough. I’ve not b een shown how to doi it, so I’d make the judgement on the breathing first.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Yes I am, I read it carefully. You’ll be able to feel it, wind or not. Layres don’t stop the chest rising. You can put your hand near his mouth/nose. You can shield him with your body and hands and put your ear within an inch or two of his mouth, and one hand under the chinbar will stop the breeze.

^This. Just because it’s ‘your hypothetical situation’ doesn’t mean that you can ignore what can realistically and practically take place. Well, you can, but then there’s not much point in having the discussion in this thread.

Oh, and this as well:

the bike lying quite far away (indicating a fairly high speed crash).

See, that doesn’t necessarily indicate a crash. He might have walked back up the trail to pick something up and had a heart attack!

From your info it’s not 100% certain he’s crashed.

Don’t make assumptions as to what has or hasn’t happened, unless the evidence is there to indicate for certain.

Drac

Fair enough. I’ve not b een shown how to doi it, so I’d make the judgement on the breathing first.

Wise.

Anyway my treatment would be a whole lot different to lots on here and given the utter vagueness and Realmans unrealistic there is answer as such.

Drac

Don’t make assumptions as to what has or hasn’t happened, unless the evidence is there to indicate for certain.

Oh oh but he’s being hypothetical. 😆

RealMan
    Free Member

Fair enough, in my mind I was seeing the bike mangled and not in a position someone would place it in, and obvious signs of a crash, eg: blood, muddy clothes, etc. I just didn’t write it that’s all.

I don’t think in every single situation you will be able to be sure if they’re breathing or not. Hence the question.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If he is not breathing and you don’t know how long he has been there is he not infact dead#? Thus no need to take the helmet off as attempting CPR is pointless? (I suppose you can check for further signs – fixed dilated pupils and a nice blue colour|) I am always very dubious about doing CPR when you don’t know how long the person has been down for. Are you just molesting a corpse?

project
    Free Member

RealMan – Member
    You (on your own) find a mountain biker lying off the trail on his back at the bottom of a big drop, the bike lying quite far away (indicating a fairly high speed crash).

It’s a windy day, help is at least 30 minutes away, and he’s wearing a lot of armour and layers, and a full face helmet. You are worried he may have a neck/spinal/head injury, but can’t tell if he’s breathing or not because of the helmet. He is completely unresponsive.

Posted 35 minutes ago # Report-Post

You go on a bike forum asking for advice, then you take pics of his bike and clothing and post them on EBAY,

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Question for First Aiders/(Para)medics/etc, and anyone with an opinion..’ is closed to new replies.