Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Question for builders/diy'ers – Airbrick and damp
  • damo2576
    Free Member

I have a damp patch rising up a wall in one room. Directly outside is the air brick below.
    You can see that its effectively at ground level and I wondered if this was correct – I imagine they should be higher and I believe the ground was brought up around it.
    I think water is going in through the bottom holes in the air brick. How best to remedy if this is unusual? I thought about blocking it all up or perhaps just the bottom holes?
    What do you practical types say? Guess I will have to call a builder?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

where the damp course level??

looks like the gravel is too high??

maxsatnav
    Free Member

damp proof course should be about 150mm above ground level so that looks way to low
    unless it is a vent for a suspended wooden floor but even so dont think it should be at ground level, one good down pour and water will get through

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That looks like the ground has been built up. It the airbrick below floor level?

I’d dig down and clear al the gravel from around it

andyl
    Free Member

erm…yeah…that wasn’t the cleverest idea by whoever did it.

What is in that room to need the air brick?

crackhead
    Free Member

I am a builder and suggest that it is more than likely condensation if its opposite this air brick.I am assuming you have a cavity wall?
    Older houses weren’t meant to contain the levels of heat modern living requires.
    If the wall has had cavity wall insulation or improperly fitted wall ties (original or “new”) this may cause bridging between the two skins, otherwise any water that enters or is absorbed by the outer skin falls to the bottom of the cavity and is removed, via air bricks, by evaporation.
    The gravel isn’t the best of ideas, but ain’t the worst:it doesn’t raise the effective ground level as water drains straight through…
    Get a builder in to offer advice, don’t ask on here!

damo2576
    Free Member

Just incase it’s not clear from the picture – that’s concrete under the gravel, i.e. i can’t dig down!

Dickyboy

i can’t dig down

Ah but you might have to – assuming old solid walled house with air brick to ventilate under timber floor, then the top of air brick is going to be at damp proof course level & should be at least 150mm above ground level – lots of other questions – get someone who knows wht they are talking about to look at it – worst case dig out concrete & construct a french drain against the wall.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Question for builders/diy'ers – Airbrick and damp’ is closed to new replies.