Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Question for boarding bikers or biking boarders?
  • d4
    Free Member

Following on from the left/right handed thread.

Do those that ride goofy lead with their right foot on the bike and those that are regular lead with their left?

Seems like quite a direct transfer to me but would be interested to hear what other people do.

MrNutt
    Free Member

goofy/right leg is favoured but when jumping I usually have my left foot "forward"

Stoner
    Free Member

I board regular (Left foot forward) and ride off with my left foot pedal stroke/clip in first.

alexonabike

I'm goofy and bike right foot forward.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Does it really matter at all? Can't we talk about tools again? 😀

JRTG
    Free Member

i like tools, i always use my right foot when doing any bike maintenance.

Onzadog
    Free Member

regular on a board and left foot forward when decending on a bike.

rustielookinchain
    Free Member

Regular on the board and left foot forward when descending on bike, but I normally set off with right foot clipped in?

juiced
    Free Member

goofy and lead mtb foot is right. So right and right.

peachos
    Free Member

learn to ride fakie on your board. and also to be able to lead with either on your bike. it can't be productive if you make a concious decision to lead with your strongest all of the time whilst doing either sport. once you're equally as strong you'll forget about all of this…

brakes
    Free Member

you're always going to favour one foot even if you can ride fakie
    I can't see any advantages of being able to do both on a bike

I ride regular but lead foot on a bike is my right

juiced
    Free Member

yeah, learning to ride fakie is good idea, but felt like learning to ride again,but worst, and hence crashes followed.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

yes.

Shandy
    Free Member

Regular on a board and left foot forward on a bike – there does seem to be a connection.

I had thought about this a while ago and have been trying to keep my lead foot on the outside in turns on the bike. Sometimes it feels right and other times I spend too long sorting my feet out and mess up something else.

the_lecht_rocks

regular /regular here 😀

jemima
    Free Member

Regular on board and left foot forward on bike too.
    Struggled to learn switch (partly due to having +24°/+15° binding angles I think) but learning to ride bike with right foot is fun and useful in some situations.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Goofy board/ right leading on bike. Left foot forward being the norm on a board doesn't make sense to me. When we were skaters as kids no one I know rode left foot forwards. Someone said it had something to do with your right side generally being stronger so you use that for turning – i.e. the back foot.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Goofy on snowboard, start off with right foot clipped in on MTB, but descend with left foot forward and I'm right handed. Is that just wierd? Or not… I have never made the conscious effort of leading with "strongest" for me it's whatever feels comfortable and I guess once you've learnt something once it sticks. I tried boarding left foot forward and couldnt' get the hang of it, Mr MC swapped it around and bang everything clicked.

d4
    Free Member

Thanks all,

Was hoping it would transfer, will have a go at riding board and bike fakie over the next couple of months.

peachos
    Free Member

you're always going to favour one foot even if you can ride fakie

true you still have a stronger lead on a board, but surely on a bike there are going to be times (cornering especially) when you're going to need to be able to lead with your weaker foot. and as someone else mentions, when you start thinking about adjusting your pedals you're taking your mind off what you are doing, which could mean that you end up balls-ing things up. much better to be able to lead with either.

personally, i've never really thought about which foot leads on a bike, doesn't seem to make any difference for me.

grumm
    Free Member

Regular on a board but right foot forward on a bike here – though I don't find it a big deal having my left foot forward (or riding fakie on a board) 🙂

martinxyz
    Free Member

goofy/right foot forward.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Regular & chocolate foot = left foot.

stevomcd
    Free Member

There's lots of reasons to be able to ride "both ways" on a bike. The main one is cornering. Particularly in tight switchbacks, you want your outside foot forward. If those switchbacks are technical, and you haven't practised riding "both ways", you'll struggle until you get the hang of it.

I still notice a difference in my ability to ride switchbacks in the 2 directions. I'm much better on right-hand ones – where you should ride left-foot-forward.

It still really niggles me when I (rarely! :oops:) have to dab on a left-hander that I know I could have cleaned if it was a right-hander.

igm

Regular on board – right foot forward on bike.

So just a weirdo then

GW
    Free Member

Igm – me too, but can ride fakie/left foot forward too and can also switch in the air if needed. on a skateboard it feels weird to push with my left foot tho.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

surf Goofy/ride left

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Question for boarding bikers or biking boarders?’ is closed to new replies.