Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Question for BikeVerbier old hands
  • spw3

I'm off in a week or two and was planning to take my 6 inch bike with 2.3" high rollers and no chain device because I'm paranoid about the Uphill Cycling that BV tell me is involved. But am now having Doubts. Should I shove on 2.5" tyres and an e13?

Help!

RHSno2
    Free Member

trust the guides, they are gods 🙂

What will 2.5 do that 2.35 won't? And if your chain comes off you put it back on. I ride there more than most and ride 2.35 all the time and a simple chain device but I race a bit.

Tracey

Take the 2.5s leave the e13, this will be our 8th year

Tracey

nickegg
    Free Member

Don't know how rocky Verbier's trails are but our 'backcountry' week near Les Arc last year involved some pedalling up on everyday and 2.35 were perfect but….i lost my chain after almost every descent.

This year i'll definitely be sorting out a chain guide!

spw3

Thanks for the quick replies guys

Tracey: won't the 2.5s but an utter b&@ch to ride up hill?

I do like my uplifts 😳

S.

RHSno2
    Free Member

as long as you can have a range of gears you'll be fine so a dual chain setup is what you'll want. 2.5's drag a bit after an hour.

RHSno2
    Free Member

p.s. I have ridden in Verbier once or twice 😉

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

2.5 front, 2.35 rear. E13 DRS/Blackspire Stinger. Sorted 😉

spw3

RHSno2 – would you bother with the additional drag of an e13 chain device?

I lobbed my big ring away long ago in favour of a bash guard.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

You are not there to enjoy the ups, you are there to enjoy the downs. Fit the chain device, and you won't get pissed off when your chain falls off.

Tracey

Not had a problem with 2.5s mine were Kenda Blue grove and Nevagal. Kevin was on Maxis Minions. The girls run Specialized Enduro 2.3s but they blow up as big as a 2.5, also running a Stinger
    Hi Rob, we always trusted you and always will, we are out the first two weeks in August so it would be good to catch up if you are in the area. We wont be going next year as Katie has to have an operation, If it all goes well she will be on the bike after 6 months. Darnt think about it going wrong

Remaniscing 2005

Girls have grown since then and send their love

Remember Kevins Kona

Tracey

RHSno2
    Free Member

'Katie has to have an operation,'

??

I should be around beginning of August. Will try and swing by the chalet for Cake. HmmmCake. Love cake.

Check them out! They must be flying now!

spw3: If you have it and it works then throw it on. I ran a Orange Patriot without a device for ages though…The chain device is good for keepingchain on from all the back pedddling!

scruff
    Free Member

Some frames require a Chain device more than others. Singlepivots dont drop chains as much as 4 baahs IMO. If you have a Dual ring chain device, just chuck it on. 2.5's only if you have wide enough rims to stop tyres spinning round and rippinng the valves off. I ran 2.3 HRs last year no problem and I REALLY LIKE cake.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Hmmmm Cake.

You know I had a LOT of cake during my time at BikeVerbier…My Cake consumption now is so low. I think I need to change this.

freeridenick
    Free Member

I ran 1 ring and 2.5 kendas on my Giant Faith for several years. you will be fine! The climbs are not to bad and if its that steep just push.

singlespeedstu

Just to put my 2p's worth in.

2.5 super tacky on the front 2.35 60a on the rear and a double and bash with a stinger works a treat out there for me.

Grip on the descents, not too draggy on the climbs and the chain never falls off.

myheadsashed

Why bother about 'draggy' tyres when you'll have 3 stone of Lucy's cake in yer belly 😯

Tracey

Cant wait for cake, Katie has had her birthday there since 2004

Tracey

spw3

Darn, every time I think I've made my mind up another post gets added to this thread and I'm plunged into doubt again!

Seriously chaps thanks for all the advice, it looks like I could go either way and I suspect that getting my rear hub to work properly and not make funny noises before next Friday is going to take priority!

So there's cake, is there? Nobody mentioned cake when I booked…

Drac

Ok been a long time since I've been out but I rode with 2.35 on my Orange 7+ which has a bashguard it was fine when fitness was good. When I went back with less fitness it was hard work but that was me not the bike.

Anyway it's an awesome place you'll love it.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

The casing of the tyre is more important than the size, go for double ply sidewalls with 60a compound rear and super tacky front.
    It's nice to have a chain device but i wouldn't buy one just for the trip.
    Phil

walleater

Don't worry – the guides tell you the climbs are only 10 minutes long 😀

If I was to go again, I'd be rocking a 2.3 tiyre and not bother with a chain device. I've not dropped a chain in a couple of years in BC and the riding is pretty similar (outside the biek parks). As long as you keep the bike in a gear that holds the chain pretty tight (pedalling downhill is for gayers), and put in a pedal stroke every now and again to make sure the chain isn't coming off, you'll be fine.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Question for BikeVerbier old hands’ is closed to new replies.