Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Question: Bike squashed by bus (London village content), what to do next?
  • irc

Just to clarify – unless there is injury there is no need to supply insurance details after an accident.

Also if the driver stopped and supplied her details and the vehicle and owner details there is no need to report the accident to the police. For non injury accidents …

“The driver of the mechanically propelled vehicle must stop and, if required to do so by any person having reasonable grounds for so requiring, give his name and address and also the name and address of the owner and the identification marks of the vehicle.”

So name and address of driver and owner and reg number of vehicle are the legal requirements.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170

Regarding the insurance thing, First self insure. I don’t know the details of how it works, but I guess it’s the same as having our own maintenance and driver training departments.
    I don’t get how the driver could not see you either.
    I’ve seen someone shunting a truck around in a workshop and drive straight at someone standing in front.
    Truck windscreens are about 2m off the ground so you can easily lose someone close up.
    Bus windscreens are about 1.2m off how the ground. How can you not see an adult right in front of you ?

andyl
    Free Member

been to the police yet? Make sure you go tonight.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Was you wearing this Hi-Viz invisibility cloak? 🙂

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WATERPROOF-CYCLING-JACKET-INVISIBILITY-CLOAK-/190531521003

neilnevill
    Free Member

my goodness, 1st really glad you were okay, 2nd sorry about the bike, 3rd make sure you pusue it hard, get the bike and inconvenience/extra costs (bus fares…intentiaonal pun, sorry!) paid for and push police to pursue driving without due care and attention. That driver needs interviewing and being made aware of totally inappropriate, unprofessional and dangerous behaviour at the very very least.
    Best of luck.
    [note to self…avoid the 137 route at all costs]

simon_g

All the buses have forward facing CCTV don’t they?

Most London buses these days have at least a dozen cameras covering all sides.

As said, report to police ASAP – the sooner they get involved the less time there is for footage to go missing.

Doug
    Free Member

Bus companies have insurance to comply with the law however they also usually have a mid six figure excess on so are in effect self insured.

I can’t see you having a problem with Arriva if events were as you describe them.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I would get the request for the CCTV in asap, the driver may have already deleted it

tinytimbo
    Free Member

A motorist once threatened to run me over.
    Still see them coming in the opposite direction most days (me on bike them in car).

Always wonder if they are going to carry out the threat.

Wondered whether I should report the threat as it was a threat on my life but I never did.

avdave2

the rim is about 1.5mm thick now.

That calls for a whole new what tyre thread!

kaesae
    Free Member

Any photo’s of the bike?

carlosg
    Free Member

Any feedback yet from the bus company?

andrewh
    Free Member

were you defo in the right (ie. in terms of your road positioning etc?)

Doesn’t matter. Assuming you were in the wrong and the bus did have right of way it still has no right to drive off after an accident.

If the police get funny about injury, psychological injury does count, and you were definately traumatised by this weren’t you? I bet you are now too scared to go riding and have been forced to give up the activity you love so much…

bland

too many words and not enough pictures i say!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Question: Bike squashed by bus (London village content), what to do next?’ is closed to new replies.