Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Question about setting sag
  • hughjengin
    Free Member

Just took delivery of my new brand bike, When I am experimenting with setting the sag on the fox rear shock, I notice that it takes a while to settle into the final sag position. i.e when I sit on the bike the shock compresses most of the way immediately but then takes another 5-10 seconds to creep down the final few mm’s, is this ok ? Or a shock problem ? it does seem to finally settle and not continue compressing slowly, but if I remember my old bike just dropped down the appropriate amount when I sat on the bike and stayed there straight away

Kramer
    Free Member

Have you fiddled with the damping?

hughjengin
    Free Member

Nope its a Float R, so no option to fiddle with it

cynic-al
    Free Member

bedding in? Proper test is riding it

garlic
    Free Member

Shocks and rebound/compression damping can be confusing and part of me things you’ve read too much on bike forums/dirt mags. Take it into the local bike shop and see if they think it’s ok. Buy some decent tyres whilst your in there.

bigyinn
    Free Member

It may be the shock just needs to bed in a bit if its brand new. Can take a while for the bushings to bed in.
    Probably worth riding it a few times after setting the sag roughly then check the sag again once its loosened up.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Hopefully it may improve after its been ridden a couple of times, bearing in mind its brand new. I suppose it could be just tightness in the seals and bushings as new

hughjengin
    Free Member

I spoke to Mojo, apparently its fine, all to do with the low / high speed compression on the new generation shocks. Particularly on the float R with the in built propedal. I may not have noticed before on my other shocks with manual switchable propedal as I always set the sag with the shock on full open so I guess that very high anti-bob compression tune wasnt that prevelant.

Meaning when a high speed load is acting on the shock it will move quickly as you’d expect (i.e a bump) but on a slow speed load (i.e a pedalling force or a slight shifting of weight is applied it has a high rate of compression damping slowing it down, so its not bobbing under pedalling, he said that this transition between high speed forces and low speed forces has increased a lot in the 2009 shocks onward. He said that the older generation shocks didnt do this so well.

I described to him in detail on the phone (twice !) the exact thing that is happening when I sit on the bike, and he basically said “yep, thats exactly what I would want to see happening, as it means its working perfectly”

So I am one happy camper now 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Question about setting sag’ is closed to new replies.