Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Question about depression (GPs thoughts would be especially nice!)
  • SaxonRider

I have been taking 50mgs/day of sertraline for depression that, I have come to realise, I have suffered for quite some time. For a number of reasons, though, I am starting to think that 50mgs may not be a high enough dose.

After experiencing the first real contentment I had in a very long time, and having enjoyed a lovely summer as a result, I feel like the fog is rolling back in.

Nothing dramatic or overwhelming; just a sneaky sense of malaise that I thought I had left behind.

Of course I will tell my GP about this when I see her on Monday, but is it appropriate to ask her to up my dose? Or is that bad form? Should I just trust her to respond the way she sees fit?

I ask because–perhaps arrogantly–I assume I know more about how I feel than she will, and I don’t want to waste any time in nipping this in the bud. But as long as it gets dealt with properly, I am genuinely happy to take advice.

DrP

Obviously I can’t give medical advice here, but a ‘GP friend’ would be surprised if your own gp didn’t acknowledge your thoughts, and agree to a dose increase with a review in, say,3 to 4 weeks..

DrP

Houns

Yeah no problem in asking for an increase or a change. I’ve just had to do the same and currently having fun changing from one to the other 😕

vickypea
    Free Member

If your symptoms aren’t being managed, the GP should be making changes either to your dose, or changing to a different antidepressant.
    I don’t tolerate any antidepressants any more, and have been having high intensity counselling with a brilliant therapist on the NHS, which has been brilliant and a life-saver. It’s worked better for me than meds or previous counselling that I’ve tried.

kayak23

I started on 50mg Sertraline quite a few years ago now. Had a few bad patches a year or more ago and eventually got it put up to 150mg which I took for ages.
    Weaned myself down to 100mg now which I’ve been on for a few months. Not had a review with the gp but probably should.

I think you sound like you need to chat to your gp for sure, and get their angle on it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I hated anti-depressants, including Sertraline, ~15 years ago. They made everyday feel very “grey,” even if something relatively great happened. These days, I prefer to try and tackle the downers (esepecially in winter) without meds, so good times feel good.

footflaps

I’ve asked to have my dose changed several times over the years, eventually settled on 20mg Citalopram a day, was up at 40/50 IIRC in the first year.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Question about depression (GPs thoughts would be especially nice!)’ is closed to new replies.