Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Query re chest pains during exercise
  • jhw
    Free Member

I don’t have a lot of time to ride now but try to do a few really painful pilates, press ups etc every few days for half an hour or so, just so on the odd occasion I get to ride I’m not completely enfeebled

It is amazing how out of breath and generally f**ked you can get when holding a completely stationary position. I don’t know how it compares to cycling, because cycling is a more prolonged workout, but it’s definitely as painful as the 6 minute rowing sessions I used to do back at uni.

Anyway yesterday I had noticeable chest pain (and the usual dizziness), definitely coming from my heart (left side of the chest) (I got very drunk and smoked a packet of cigarettes last Saturday but no debauchery since then).

In the abstract one tells oneself that if one gets chest pain after a big workout, one will call 999 asap. But I didn’t because it seems ridiculous, I’m 27 (Robert Johnson, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix age!), and you know, I’m fine today.

The point of this post is to ask whether you’d call a doctor if your chest ached after a hard workout? It seems a bit ridiculous but then my mother one day a few years ago had a bit of a chest ache, and by chance had a doctor’s appointment the same day, and it turned out she was having a full on heart attack that could’ve killed her if she hadn’t been with a doc at the time. So hmmm. Oh yeah loads of people in my family have been killed by heart disease, they were all big smokers and drinkers though.

I’m a worrier!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

With dizzyness? Yes. almost certainly nothing to worry about but is almost certainly good enough?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

What sort of pain?

BigJohn

You might have a cute mangina.

NJA

If you can rule out indigestion, trapped wind etc then see a doctor, especially with dizzyness.

You have form in the family so why take the chance.

osteo1
    Free Member

lots of additional questions needed to make a diagnosis so its worth getting a check up from your GP. dizziness following a pilates session isn’t what I would expect a patient to complain of. chest pain accompanied by jaw pain or arm pain especially but not exclusively on the left would-be a warning sign to get seen immediately. but again i would suggest a check up as it is what your gp is there for!

jhw
    Free Member

I think the answer is probably just to get fitter!

It’s funny though how in theory we think “I don’t need to worry about heart failure/cancer, I’ll have plenty of warning, just call an ambo…” but in reality when it happens we’re all “that thing on my ball? it’s probably just a wart…that chest pain? probably just need to fart…” etc.

More dramaqueenery

molgrips
    Free Member

Hang on. Dizziness and chest pain whilst exercising and a family history of heart disease and you smoke?!

Get to a doctor asap! Jeez! How many more warning signs do you want? You should NOT have chest pain or dizziness when exercising! It is definitely not normal!

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I’d get it checked out just in case.

A system wide failure isnt a good thing.

docrobster
    Free Member

how old are you?

retro83
    Free Member

BigJohn – Member

You might have a cute mangina.

😆

jhw
    Free Member

27 so I’m pretty cavalier about it

warton
    Free Member

(I got very drunk and smoked a packet of cigarettes last Saturday but no debauchery since then

Oh yeah loads of people in my family have been killed by heart disease, they were all big smokers and drinkers though.

I’d get it checked out!

totalshell

DOCTORS!! The last time i went it was still free .. so wheres the downside..

docrobster
    Free Member

Even though you are only 27 (sorry didn’t see that in you’re OP)as others have said see a Dr. With your family history you should get this checked.
    I would want to know what your lipids are like. Raised cholesterol can run in families and certain types massively increase your risk of heart disease even at a young age.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

jhw, just go and get it checked out. I wish I had.

Last year I had chest pains, fit and healthy so I ignored it.
    Four days before the great north run and I’m in BHI with a heart attack having a blood clot removed. 8 months later I’m still recovering.

I would not wish this on anyone and from what I’ve learnt over the past 8 months you have the warning signs that need to be acted upon.

A few hours of your time now could save a year in recovery.
    Sounds dramatic but I’m in a position to speak from experience.

allthepies
    Free Member

27 so I’m pretty cavalier about it

Would you like to find out what being 28 is like ? 😀

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks all for the welcome advice.

Ho ho ho, feeling a bit of a dull ache there now but I think it’s just due to too much tea. I do want to get this checked though. I really think it’s just because I’ve just started incredibly hard (for me) strength work unbacked by any real cardio fitness.

The thing is I actually did see a doctor specifically about this a few months ago – a company doctor (think, the “doctors” in Erin Brockovitch…) – and he took my blood pressure and basically said “don’t be so ridiculous”, BUT “would you be interested in spending £300 on screening which will check for certain?”.

I’m not, but I’ll see if the public health service here in Belgium can xray me or whatever.

molgrips
    Free Member

feeling a bit of a dull ache there now

😯

I really think it’s just because I’ve just started incredibly hard (for me) strength work unbacked by any real cardio fitness

No.. this should not cause heart pain! Not afaik at least.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Query re chest pains during exercise’ is closed to new replies.