Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Quantocks ~ Your Favourite Combe or Trail?
  • jam-bo

Dibbs – Member
    My favourite is probably Slaughterhouse, because it doesn’t get ridden as much as some of the others and has a more natural feel.

POSTED 19 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Having a senior moment there dibbs?

transapp
    Free Member

I went for the first time on Saturday, loved it but underestimated quite how big an area they cover. Smiths was my fav, however hodders was fun as well.

@ Dekerf853 – no, they are not ‘technical’, you can ride them slowly and you’ll have no bother. Speed up however and they are utterly superb. Great Wood did have more technical stuff, however it was no better than in the hills around Bath, not worth heading over purely for that for me.

It was the views as well as I went around that I loved, truly brilliant.

ruscle
    Free Member

P20, Was the tree still across the lower section of Bin combe? It is a sweet descent and spanks the arse out of Smith’s imo

leec247
    Free Member

I mainly love the fact that the quantocks r 10 mins from my front door so I can take full advantage of the great trails up there

P20

Yes the tree is still across the track, but I loved that track so much it didn’t bother me.

saladdodger
    Free Member

ART

I had the same misshap down weacombe highside off the bike and down the ditch 🙄

2 months off the bike 🙁

andyl
    Free Member

been going over the OS maps looking for the ones mentioned.

Also found this: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid=F1D7703ED2D5C694DEA640B64375E34F?fileId=xrorajzyazoenjyp

ryanctj
    Free Member

That’s the route I referred to in my earlier post, it takes in some great bits, but be prepared for some big climbs. The Great Wood section on that route is the only weak part imho, felt like a lot of ascent and not much payoff.

ART

I had the same misshap down weacombe highside off the bike and down the ditch

2 months off the bike 🙁 ouch!

Of course like others, I had never really appreciated how far down the stream drops from the trail in that combe cause you can’t really see it through all the undergrowth … Had to retrain my ‘looking ahead’ especially for Weacombe after that one!

Qs are a real gem of a place you’re never gonna get bored, and you get to wave at Knottie *waves – hello from Sat* as often as not 🙂

DJ
    Free Member

I’d say Weacombe is the most popular from speaking to various riders, purely because it is so rapid. Had some mates have close encounters with the stream but no one has spilled into it!

It’s worth giving the Hare Knapps a mention. The left one is amazing as starts on grass fairly steep (careful of the sheep), there are little bumps on the way down so you can get some good air down them at speed. Then you climb for a little, and the rest of the way is majestic single track, twisty fun, with a nice little jump towards the end, carry on to the left at the junction and you end in Hodders beaming from ear to ear!

jam-bo

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRmVA1N8Rfo[/video]

Just for dibbs…

DJ
    Free Member

Just thought – has anyone mentioned the single track from Triscombe Stone that runs parallel to the road? That is sweet and is always a favourite of mine. Although I don’t find the flow of it as good as it used to be.

I need to get up more. I’ve lost my mojo for it a bit this year with the weather, forestry etc. But talking about it on here makes me want to get back in the saddle!

40mpg

Regular visitor here, once or twice a year but always on the calendar!

Back again weekend after next for a weekend of cider and cycling 😀

Here’s a video guide to some of the trails mentioned above (excuse the drunken tomfoolery inbetween!)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eXPKql5zNU[/video]

Andy

Never ridden Bin Combe! Does anyone have a grid ref for the start please?

P20

Andy, if you climb up Ladys Combe, there’s an obvious tree in a clearing on your left. There’s a small track off to your right down to the road. On the opposite side of the road is Bin Combe, in general keep left, it’s a joyous magical narrow track through the trees, best enjoyed on the slightly too fast side of sensible!

Os ref: 164388 (according to wor lass, not me if it’s wrong)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Bin Combe for me. It’s possible to make it longer by starting from the top of Holford Combe too.

Andy

Thanks P20 will have a look

knottie8
    Free Member

Classic Qs trail and one of my favs

love this one , just like riding on marbles or a flat tyre.

not a combe but a great downhill blast.
    BUt I think my all time fav is Crowcombe CP start up to the trig point turn right to Wilmots pool then left to the wide side of Frog combe all the way down to Holford. Best ridden as your running out of light and in a hurry to get to the pub. (waves and shouts “high” at ART) .
    oh yeah CB is good too

Hareydan
    Free Member

It’s a bit bitty but I love the descent down Wills Neck, followed by the singletrack alongside the road mentioned by DJ up there, a quick blat off the fireroad down that bit with the 90 degree right hander before finishing down the Chimney, awesome stuff!

MadBillMcMad

Frog Combe in my very limited experience.

Note to self – Must plan the next trip down.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I will also give “Jambo and Sharki” a mention. The upper part is getting rougher, messier and harder as it is ridden quite a lot. But I still really like it.

jam-bo

nice to hear its still there.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Willoughby Cleave in the dry.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Having a senior moment there dibbs?

I don’t know what happened there, some kind of tablet related delayed action double post. 😳

It’s flippin gorgeous up on the Quantocks this morning BTW, shame I was only walking the dog 🙁

Dibbs
    Free Member

Spotted one of the “locals” too.

Hareydan
    Free Member

@ buzz, is Jambo & Sharki’s still there? Last time I attempted it (a couple of months ago now) the top was completely destroyed by forestry, don’t know if it was still intact further down (sorry Jam bo 🙁 )

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

is Jambo & Sharki’s still there? Last time I attempted it (a couple of months ago now) the top was completely destroyed by forestry,

Oh nuts 🙁

Was hoping to ride it on Saturday too.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Jambo and Sharki’s is just about still there, although it has been crossed in a number of places and the third section that contours along to the middle of the chimney has been completely wiped out by forestry machinery tracking along it.

All ridable but more disrupted now.

carlphillips
    Free Member

we are heading up there in a few weeks, can anyone list some of the besterest descents in a logical order, we normally set off from bicknoller village.
    cheers.

Gilles

Did the MRB killer loop last week end. Enjoy all the descents (with the exception of Great Wood). Here the summary:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tD4TwpCVLQ[/video]

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks ~ Your Favourite Combe or Trail?’ is closed to new replies.