Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Quantocks Unrideable
  • charlierevell
    Free Member

Well, got dropped off just below lydeard hill CP for a quick 30 miles across the hills. Beautiful weather and not too cold.
    Got out the car park, slipped all the way up the first incline, nearly came off under power infront of some spectators! Went round the corner and came off twice.
    Made it to the first gate under the trees for those who know it, that was lethal, couldnt even stand up.
    Taking the trail over to the bottom of Wills Neck was lethal, has a slight angle to it and the bike wouldnt stay upright.

At this point I gave up! Rode thru a wheel deep section of mud and went over the bars! Time to ride home, managed 1.5 miles off road and 8 on road home. So I went and played on the Darkside instead.

Dibbs… Knottie… Sharki…. Could be nasty up there for a while, there had to be about 2inches of Ice covering every legal trail, so much so that I couldnt even get to play on anything fun.
    Just hope its thaws soon! I want to ride!

Smee
    Free Member

It's rideable, just not by you on that bike set up. Spikes is where its at.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Mmmm some snow chains might have done the job! Accelerating was almost impossible, so climbing got a little silly.
    I watched some people continue on… Im pretty sure there will be a few broken limbs up there!

leeson
    Free Member

its funny that you pronounce the quantocks "unrideable".

lol, is it to make yourself feel better?

sorry just seems like a strange thing to say.

snaps
    Free Member

I know exactly what you mean, this was rideable on Dartmoor last Saturday

But this most certainly wasn't on Christmas eve (frozen solid & 1300ft lower as well!)

Norton
    Free Member

Did a couple of hours at lunchtime -mostly OK after
    Wills neck

Christowkid
    Free Member

snaps:
    It's been like that for a week here! Well, not quite so bad but the lanes around the village have resembled it for ages. didn't think we were going to get out to get the Turkey!. Today is the first day when it's looked like a half sensible idea to go out in a car or bike. In fact, the first day when i didn't risk life and limb just getting the logs in from the garage, twas that slippery!!!!
    Sounds like a quick wet and warmer snap before more cold coming in on wednesday, including snow supposedly.
    P'raps tis time i got out tomorrow before the next freeze hits
    ….so long as i can remember how to….
    Q in a Christmas fog

oldfart

Cheers for the heads up Charlie .Was heading there today or tomorrow .If you couldn't hack it i've got no chance !

charlierevell
    Free Member

Wasnt to make me feel better, will quite happily ride in anything. Solo ride with 4 falls didnt seem to make sense. I gather a few people have said after wills neck it was fine. But it resembled an Ice skating rink not MTB terrain! Snaps, thats just what it was like along from Lyd to Wills.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks Unrideable’ is closed to new replies.