• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DJ.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Quantocks – Trail Destruction
  • DJ
    Free Member

Had a great ride with a group of mates on the Quantocks yesterday, the riding conditions were perfect! The only downer was that when we went to ride Sharki and Jambo’s trail we found it had pretty much been trashed at the top by forestry work.

So, then we headed down to Sam’s Track (which comes out on the Motorway and cuts through the woods above there) only to find another group coming back up the trail to say that was trashed too. I didn’t even realise they were working in those areas?!

I know the FC have to do what they do up there to keep the trees healthy etc and I respect that but I just thought it was a shame as those two bits of trail are great. Anyone else noticed other trails that have been blocked? May head up there and have a better look on foot if I can.

jam-bo

and we only built that when del’s stump got trashed.

it happens, it refreshs the trails, I wonder who will built the next as I don’t live round there anymore and sharki is away with the butterflys…

Dibbs
    Free Member

They’ve been working in that area since before xmas, look at it as an opportunity to look at the lay of the land and plan new trails before they re-plant.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve just been up on the Quantocks, while I was there I cleared a few of the fallen trees at the bottom I stopped to talk to one of the Rangers. The bad news is that there’s still a bit of work to do in that area, and there’s a chance it could affect the Chimney, they should be finished by July though.

vegman
    Free Member

Good to see you up there Dibbs, good to see you had the pruning saw with you!

DJ
    Free Member

Good work Dibbs. I’m not sure if its just the tops of the trails. I really need to go and take a good look around, maybe walk up from the bottom. Limits the options over that side somewhat with those two trails out of the picture.

Dibbs
    Free Member

There’s still loads of stuff at that end of the Quantocks, but most of it doesn’t get ridden as much as it used to and is starting to get overgrown (Snaggletooth is a good example) as people tend to ride the Northern end of the hills more.

jam-bo

plenty of long techy DH tracks in that area that run well even on an XC bike.

snaggletooth fell into disuse because it wasnt that good. I spent a couple of hours pruning it back once to ride it. Rode it, didnt go back for months.

DJ
    Free Member

The DH’s frighten me! I’m more into XC but I’ve been meaning to check them out for years! I rode Snaggletooth once but it was totally overgrown so ended up having to walk most of it. There are a few cheeky trails around Great Wood. I’m gonna have to go up and see if I can do some clearing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks – Trail Destruction’ is closed to new replies.