• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DJ.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Quantock Session
  • DJ
    Free Member

Went up on the Quantocks at the weekend in the wind and rain. The last couple times I have been up we've been exploring to find new tracks/routes, as suggested by some you guys previously. We did Stert Combe but I wasn't that impressed, I'm not entirely sure we picked the correct starting point! We also did Slaughterhouse Combe and I loved that, pretty smooth and fast and lots of deep stream crossings. Would recommend it if you haven't tried it. I just wondered if anyone had explored any of the more remote places like Bin Combe, as that looks like it has potential on the map! Also, what about around the Great Wood area in the woods? Anything there? Done the usual Chimney and Motorway (Chicken Run). Is there anything worth doing between there and north of Wills Neck?!

Cheers in advance.

sharki
    Free Member

Firstly the thread title reminds me of something…. Quantock sessions

There's only one true start to stert and with all this recent wet stuff, it maybe a little slow as it's loamy soil for some parts.

Bin Combe is at present one of my favorite trails. staying left of the beach bank it's a long swooping piece of vague singletrack, that weaves through trees, dips into a little ditch and feels to be endless, not steep just flowing, lots of hidden loose rock and roots and at this time of year the leaves will make it greasy, watch out for the hidden stumps at the trail side. Finishes with a climb back up to the left coming out at 'walfords gibbet' on the the old coach road, or carry on along the course of the stream and end up in Nether Stowey.

Great wood has a few built trails, one has berms, drops and little kickers, difficult to explain how to get to it, but you'd of passed the midsection cross over along the course of the motorway.

Then there's mine and Jambo's trail from the track to Quantock farm, crosses the old rocky horror trail and eventually come out on the left hander in the chimney( just after the little rocky section)

There's a few little trails linking the forest roads, like car wash(pass ramscombe towards crowcombe park gate ands take the first right) which would appear to have a washed out gully at the bottom, to straight up this not taking the immediate turn to the left.

The only other trail of note comes out at Davids well spring, which you'd get to by turning right(opposite the last trail head) climb up taking the first right at the top of forest road, then carry on straight and up, then around to the left along beach bank hedge on right, right at end through a gateway, and left at the stump….

Lots of fun stuff over a triscombe in the cockercombe plantations, mostly natural DH.

Enjoy.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Turn the sound down before you watch the stupid Quantock Sessions or you'll never get that flippin Ballroom Blitz out of yer head.
    Snaggle Tooth used to be fun (ends up in Cockercombe Bottom) but was a bit overgrown last time I tried it, Triscombe Combe is one of the fastest descents on the Quantocks and tends to put a smile on peoples faces, the descent from Light Gate down to Durborough Farm is quick but can be muddy this time of year.

jam-bo

nothing wrong with a bit of sweet….

sharki
    Free Member

Dibbs, it always humours me to know you've either opened the link or got the tune into your head via me post.

One day soon i'll park outside your house with it thumping chav like from my boy racer Honda and even better i'll be soon enlisted into the nuclear work force and will educate staff to the sounds of the sweet..

Oh! Tonight i cleared all the trees bar one brute, which will need the abuse from my bow saw and not the fold up jobby.

Trail will be all clear, as far as the link to the motorway, tis certainly wet though.

DJ
    Free Member

Sounds good, thanks for the input. I've been looking on the map around Dowsborough Fort, it looks like there is potential there from the top down (northwards) and then doubling back and dropping into Holdford Combe where the bottom of Ladys Combe starts?! Haven't been up in a while, got to sort out the bike and do it!!

knottie8
    Free Member

weacombe combe , smiths combe , bicknoller combe ,hares knap(s), Ladys edge , holford combe . loads of quaility stuff to ride up there.

jam-bo

the run off dowsborough can be fun. flat out blast with some drifty corners.

concrete block is good, frog combe (left hand side) is great when it drys out.

about 15 great DH tracks at triscombe.

I miss living next to the quantocks.

DJ
    Free Member

I've seen a lot of Jambo's and Sharki's stuff on the net,it's quality. Get some more on there if you can! My mate just got a helmet cam so I'm hoping to do some our own films soon too, albeit slower!!

DJ
    Free Member

Sharki/Jambo,
    Been watching your Quantock Sessions video on U Tube, can you tell me where the first bit of film is from? I don't recognise it at all. Is it Frogs? If so I haven't been down there yet. Going up this weekend so may try it then but hoping to explore around Dowsborough Fort.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Quantock Session’ is closed to new replies.