Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • QR vs allen/hex bolt skewer tension…
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

See you like selective quoting, or perhaps you missed

Have you considered converting the hub to a solid axle, so you could just have nuts to hold the wheel in place? That way it would be secure and you could tighten the axle up a LOT.

Or how about some of those security QRs where the lever is removable?

Alternatively if you must use bolt up skewers (you still haven’t said if its for wheel security or to stiffen things up a bit) you could always adjust the bearing tension on the hubs to take account of the possible lesser tension in the skewers.

Still don’t let the facts get in the way of an argument eh.

Northwind

sv – Member

The bit that I find snaps is the small lug on the nut end

Aye, I’ve squashed one of those while building a bike in the dark… Though it doesn’t actually matter, it’s just a convenience thing.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

bigyinn, you’re obviously just after an argument.

Convert three bikes to solid axle for the odd occasion we park somewhere where the QRs get nicked? Really?

And to adjust bearing tension on three bikes each time I switch to hex skewers and then back again? Really?

Removable lever QRs are external cam, I prefer internal cam. But I’ll give you that one. One (just one) useful suggestion.

None of those answered the original question. I didn’t ask for suggestions to circumvent what I was trying to do, I asked a very specific question.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It’ll take me all of 30 seconds to test the hex skewer Junkyard has kindly offered to loan me, I will video the test because I think some people haven’t got the foggiest what I’m talking about.

crosses finger he is one of the ones who understands
    Bigyinn you made some helpful suggestions but you have been fairly argumentative /confrontational/sarcastic whilst doing it.
    We save that stuff for chat or our mates , generally [IMHO]it should not be on the bike section.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ok, lets just draw a line under this. Im not after an argument, but your tone doesnt always come across very well TuckerUK.
    You hadn’t mentioned the skewers were for occasional use until fairly late in the discussion (unless I missed that too), not daily use, so that would rule out solid axles and twatting about with bearing tension I agree.
    Sadly AFAIK the only removable lever QRs I know are external cam ones.

Anyhoo I have nothing further to add, so I’ll step out.

Good luck with your search TuckerUK, no hard feelings eh.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

OK, as promised and with thanks to my generous benefactor Junkyard.

Hmm, don’t seem able to insert video, so I’ll link to them instead:

Video Part 1 of 2

Video Part 2 of 2

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘QR vs allen/hex bolt skewer tension…’ is closed to new replies.