• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by m360.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • QR Pannier Rack or alternative?!
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Doing some research for a pannier for my 2008 Specialized Allez.

Budget price as it will only be used very occasionally for overnight clothes and shoes.

Bike doesn’t have pannier eyelets, and rear stays are carbon which I think rules our P Clips, had a look at skewer mounted ones but they appear quite expensive??!

And I think I have too much stuff for a Carradice saddle bag which have been mention on here before.

So QR pannier rack – is that my best option?!

If so, anyone recommend one? And with sides or without (only be using a rack bag with no sides)

Feel like I am always on here seeking advice!
    Thanks again!!!!

MoreCashThanDash

Search for bridge street saddlebags on here, might be an option. Think another thread was around in the last day or two

disco_stu
    Free Member

How much stuff do you need to carry? I’ve got a Carradice Nelson (15l capacity ) with SQR rack mount and can fit in overnight clothes and shoes in mine fairly easily, and there are larger saddlebags available.
    They are awesome bits of kits as well

smurfly13
    Free Member

Both those saddlebags would actually be comfortably large enough!!

But they are £70 each….. not really budget…. mmm, 2nd hand market maybe!

kcal

Revelate saddlebag possibly if taking quite a bit of kit.

Or a Topeak QR rack, Alpkit dry bag and some bungee cords.

konagirl
    Free Member

I use a skewer and rear brake mount rack called Axiom Streamliner Road DLX. Needed a longer bolt for the rear brake and they aren’t always immediately available to buy becasue Axiom are a Canadian outfit, but used regularly for commuting for over 2 years and very happy with it. I guess once you buy a pannier bag to go with the rack, you might be looking at a similar price to the saddle bags, unless Aldi or Lidl have cheap bags in.

(I use Ortlieb waterproof pannier bags, which would be a bit too expeensive for what you want.)

scrumfled
    Free Member

or maybe a bikepacking saddle bag?

http://www.wildcatgear.co.uk/shop/seat-systems/wildcat-gear-tiger/

(there are cheaper options uraltour, for example)

birdage

Another vote for Carradice saddle bags, easily fits in as much as a rack bag. Got mine on ebay for about £20 secondhand. BUT you need to factor in the fixing system, whether support or SQR. Just got back from a few days using it, absolutely faultless.

gazc
    Free Member

i use a carradice sqr tour for daily commuting, excellent bit of kit. waterproof, space for clothes/shoes etc and can get a reasonable amount of shopping in too plus the mount is much more stealth/lighter than a pannier rack. carradice are great too helped me out when i broke a mount from overtightening….

smurfly13
    Free Member

The Uraltour looks interesting for that price…. might be worth a go!!

brassneck

14.99 Karrimor rucksack from Sports Direct – 15L, gets clothes and shoes in (and a small towel at a squeeze) and comfy – its one of those OMM style packs, no rigid frame and hip pockets. Love mine, bought another in case it rips.

EDIT: THIS ONE. £10.50 now!

woody2000

Not bike specific, but the Alpkit airlok-xtra might do you. Basically a rugged dry bag with fixing points. £14 for the 13L bag + straps

Bag:
    https://www.alpkit.com/products/airlok-xtra

Straps:
    https://www.alpkit.com/products/dual-straps

m360
    Free Member

Blackburn EX-1. Works a treat and is very strong. It doesn’t stick out that far with the disc spacers, and includes a longer skewer all for £30.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘QR Pannier Rack or alternative?!’ is closed to new replies.