Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • QR ok for surly orgre running derailleur ?
  • noltae
    Free Member

My mate has asked me to source a wheelset for an Orgre frameset he’s building up – or rather getting someone else too .. I’m not confident in choosing something for him on account that I’ve heard a few reports that track ends as found on the Orgre might not be great with qr – Should I be looking at bolt through axle ? Which could be harder to source as I was looking for a second hand wheelset – QR with tug nuts plus derailleur looks like a bit of a dogs dinner – And I don’t think my mate would cope too well fixing a puncture too well – Should I convince him to run SS instead? What’s the most hassle fee set up for an Orge rear wheel ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Proper qr will not slip if that’s the Q.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve got a Krampus, used a decent shimano skewer and push the wheel as far into the dropout as i could, no slipping, ever,

thought you only needed a tugnutt if you are running it SS as it stops the wheel moving forward in the dropout?

johnnystorm

Krampus and Moonlander here both with weedy standard QR and no trouble. As above, it’s only if you want to go SS and the wheel needs to go back for chain tension.

Bruce

I have an Ogre there are 2 black spacers supplied with the frame which fit in the dropout to keep the wheel in the correct position to line the wheel up with the gear hanger. The frame works well with a QR set up like this.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

As Bruce said got spacers with mine

shermer75
    Free Member

Can you buy those spacers seperately? I could really use them..

ton

wife had a surly troll, same set up as a ogre. been running shimano qr from new, 4 years ago. no spacers needed

noltae
    Free Member

Okay – thanks for responses – didn’t want to source wheels for mate only to have issues .. I’ll tell him to go for a decent qr just to be safe ..

mattsccm
    Free Member

With decent QR’s you won’t need anything else. We never bother when using any type of wheel with conventional dropouts, before verticals became common.
    Never bothered when using track ends either, just dragged the wheel back and tightened the QR.
    Fixed, SS or stacks of sprockets is irrelevant.
    Use internal cam QRs with a steel lever. Shimano or Campag are the best.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘QR ok for surly orgre running derailleur ?’ is closed to new replies.