• This topic has 25 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by flow.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • QR forks – secure?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I have some Z150Sl’s and they’re QR. Plenty of wheels to choose from but I’m not very confident QR is safe enough on such a long fork. How can I make it better? Pro II hub if it matters.

Stoner
    Free Member

the length of fork has little bearing on the safety of a QR system.

The following are more important:

1) Thread of QR nut should be “stiff”, not sloppy
    2) Cam of QR lever should not be worn
    3) Drop outs on fork should be forward facing
    4) Drop outs on fork should have lawyer tabs
    5) Larger rotor sizes put the caliper pad higher up the fork leg reducing the angle of the force which acts on the axle path towards ejecting it from the drop out.

richcc
    Free Member

Stoner has it almost right he just forgot:

Use a Shimano QR

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Hairychested
    Free Member

Stoner, so in plain English – a large rotor, Shimano QR and Marzocchi fork are fine. Correct? Or is a allen key axle better?

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve never had any issues with QRs on long forks, If you’d feel more confident using a hex head skewer, use that

Most people have no real need for a QR anyway

Stoner
    Free Member

correct.

I dont see an allen bolt axle adding much additional security over a good quality QR that is regularly inspected.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Thanks lads.

druidh
    Free Member

6) Remember to close the QR.

iainc

as above, a well maintained Shimano QR will be solid

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

yep – go for shimano QR – my hope one keeps coming undone 🙁

Or you can get some hubs that take a 9mm axle for extra stiffness, although if QR that won’t be a shimano one.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Out of curiosity, has anybody found any better than Shimano? I tried Hope – poor with my forks (couldn’t close them properly), Halo – snapped the rod, unbranded – opened themselves without being ridden. There are Chromags at CRC and they look nice. Would there be a reason for buying them other than being a niche-whore?

@druidh
    , a valid pount 🙂

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i recall that one brand of allen key skewers advises strongly against racing. IIRC it was to do with it not be as reliable.

Hairychested
    Free Member

@MrK mkII, what about mincing? 😉

MrKmkII
    Free Member

haha, i believe the warranty is unaffected 🙂

nick1962
    Free Member

I thought that the DT Swiss 10mm ratchet skewers were supposed to be more secure than standard QR,but pricey.Hope hubs can easily be switched to 10mm too.Superstar do a budget QR version.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Shimano skewers are great. Salsa are the only ones I know of that come close.

Christian
    Free Member

DT RWS are 9mm btw and fit in standard QR dropouts, have one on the Stumpy, very good it is too.

vinnyeh

I’m struggling to recall anybody ever actually saying that ‘brand blah qr skewers are more secure than Shimano’.

I can’t really seen any advantage in trying anything else.

flow
    Free Member

QR has obviously been around for longer than you have been riding, you will be fine.

Hairychested
    Free Member

@flow, not quite true, but 150mm of travel, 456SS and QR seem(ed) a bit of a mismatch.

mboy
    Free Member

If you’re worried, get the 9mm axle adapters for the pro2 hub, and an axle from either DT or Superstar. This setup is definitely more secure than a conventional QR, and fits in normal QR dropouts.

Or just use a Shimano QR and make sure its in good condition and done up tightly.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

And closed the right way. A mate of mine Isnt that mechanically minded and when ever I see him he’s done the QR up real tight with the QR full open

Hairychested
    Free Member

@mboy, I’m not worried, more like uncertain. I’ll stay with the Shimano QR’s then (if I can find the front one) for now.

iainc

I have 9mm DT Swiss RWS on my 5 and XT QR on the hartail. The 9mm bolt through is stiffer, but I’d not say more secure than a properly setup QR.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The main thing with QRs is checking them every ride IMO.

Only once have I seen a front QR fail (Rider error, poor maintenance) and I was right behind the guy at 20mph++ when his wheel came out.
    This was the days of toeclips and the first thing to hit the floor was his face. It wasn’t pretty. AFAIK he never rode a bike again after having his jaw and lower face reconstructed.

flow
    Free Member

That would not be good!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘QR forks – secure?’ is closed to new replies.