Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Q for those with a rear car bike carrier…
  • Bream
    Free Member

Do you cover your bike/s to protect them from road grime/salt etc?

Benefits to cover are to protect but negatives could be increased drag?

But then again, the air directly behind the car isn’t high flow anyway, so would a bike cover really cause so much extra drag?

Vortexracing

I leave mine open to the elements

and have for the past decade or so with no detriment to the bike

Tracey

Never done since 1987, what I have noticed is that in the winter if the Gritters have been out its better to wash the bikes, especially around the brake callipers, to get the salt off.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Depends on the car. Some have a fair bit (masses) of turbulence immediately behind them.

I’d not fancy turning my bike into a sail.

matt_outandabout

I do not cover. The only issue I have had, is on longer journey’s my smoky emissions can cover the disk – and lack of braking power. Quick clean and it is fine, but you do notice which disc is closest to the exhaust…

Bream
    Free Member

I guess the other negative is that additional force placed on a covered bike could also affect the load on the rack itself

Maybe I just to accept the fact that my bike will get dirty without me riding it 😯

br
    Free Member

Maybe I just to accept the fact that my bike will get dirty without me riding it

If you are the kinda person who washes their car, then you’re probably the kinda person that would worry…

FWIW it’ll be dirty on the journey back anyway.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Get a bigger car?
    I’ve not put a bike outside a car for years.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Get a bigger car?
    I’ve not put a bike outside a car for years.

I did this, by the end of a winter of putting the frozen bike back in the car, it defrosting and depositing mud on the boot liner, getting it out, repeat, it turned into a greenhouse with things sprouting left right and centre come springtime!

Bike rack is just less hassle overall than having to clean* out the car.

I’ve not noticed any significant impact on braking etc, but I drive a petrol not a diesel so no unburnt fuel in the exhaust. I do hose it off to remove salt through.

*I’m not precious, but the 2″ layer of mud and dog poo was getting ridiculous.

matt_outandabout

Get a bigger car?

Yep done that. Still not big enough for five of us and five bikes and gear.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/C8T12y]Ford Galaxy bike rack canoes[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My bikes usually end up cleaner after the drive home. I can’t see any point covering them at all.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Funny that, i can get 90% of the filth off my bike in about 2 minutes, even when it’s frozen sludge. And popping the bootliner out of the car once a week is only a 10 minute job.

Van?

Bream
    Free Member

Already have a big car = Passat estate, but its hard to fit four bikes in and everything else for a trip away.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Depends on the car. Some have a fair bit (masses) of turbulence immediately behind them.

I’d not fancy turning my bike into a sail.
    I could imagine it could be quite dangerous if the cover came loose, it could get tangled in god knows what and probably cause an accident.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Q for those with a rear car bike carrier…’ is closed to new replies.