Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Q for natural runners
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

After getting a pair of 6mm drop/offset shoes (a revelation from my old 12mm), I want to aim for 0mm drop.

I ordered some Vibram foot fingers type shoes on Sportpursuit but see that they are doing Saucony 0mm drop shoes now…is one better than the other or what are the differences?

Am doing marathon training and running for fun mostly.

zilog6128

You might get fewer odd looks with the Saucony.

wwaswas

*was worried this was going to be about running in the nud*

ontor
    Free Member

I really get on with the Vivo neo trails

Solo
    Free Member

natural runners

*was worried hoping this was going to be about running in the nude*

This thread is no good without pictures.

Oh, hang on, actually……

wwaswas

This thread is no good without pictures.

I’m not gazing at cynic-al’s fork in this context 😉

Solo
    Free Member

I’m not gazing at cynic-al’s fork in this context

Wait till Hora turns up !

nickc

What dyou mean by “natural” runner?

With shoes it’s all about comfort tbh, be very careful about changing your shoes. I run an awful lot, most days in fact i often see guys running in those vibram things (mostly I hear them coming….slap slap) I rarely rarely see them more than once….

Solo
    Free Member

mostly I hear them coming….slap slap
    😯

29erKeith
    Free Member

+1 Vivobearfoot I’ve not run in Vibrams but I was given some Injinji socks a few years back and find the way they spread your toes a bit odd, Vibrams will be a far bigger spread than the Injinji’s so I wouldn’t personally.

One of mates who’s a pretty quick ultra runner swears by five fingers though. They just feel/look odd to me, but each to their own.

wwaswas

HORA TO THE THREAD! HORA TO THE THREAD!

29erKeith
    Free Member

oh and I’d only use a bearfoot shoe off road personally, I’d still use trainers all be it lightweight and fairly flat shoe on the road.

paul4stones

I tried some of the New Balance mt10s on the other day. Very comfortable but I didn’t run anywhere.

nickc

It depends what your comfiest in. I wear normal trainers, and run nearly always on the ball of my foot, however there’s a guy in my club with visually the most awkward stride you’ve ever seen, and yet he’s pretty bloody fast and rarely injured.

Buying different shoes to force yourself into a particular stride ( however well intentioned or researched) is a dubious benefit IME.

Clover

I have just got a pair of Vivobarefoots and love wearing them. I’ve only done the prescribed short runs to get used to them so far – but it’s a really nice feeling being able to connect with the ground. Am working up to doing the usual 10km Wednesday night club run in them and then we’ll know…

Aristotle
    Free Member

My calves are still protesting a bit at my gentle, mid-foot striking in my lightweight ~7mm drop shoes.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Natural and Barefoot are different things,

Natural Running is simply running in a zero drop shoe, anything from the 4mm sole of the Vibrams to the 10mm of shoes like some Saucony/Asics.

Barefoot is either running barefoot or running in a shoe with very limited padding on the sole, Vibram, Vivo etc

You’ll always be best moving to a zero drop shoe with cushioning before a barefoot shoe. It helps develop your muscles and is more forgiving.

matt_bl
    Free Member

i often see guys running in those vibram things (mostly I hear them coming….slap slap) I rarely rarely see them more than once….

The two things may well be connected. I spent alot of time working on my technique for running barefoot, so when I use five fingers I don’t make much noise at all. I often surprise people as they don’t hear me ‘approaching’. I also use Inov road shoes with a zero drop.

I would recommend both, but try as many different shoes/’systems’ as you can.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Are they coming from behind?

‘Barefoot’ runner hear and I don’t think i slap slap, as I do generally run pretty light.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Are they coming from behind?

‘Barefoot’ runner hear and I don’t think i slap slap, as I do generally run pretty light.

Slapping is poor technique often because they still heel strike and then “slap” their toes down.

Aristotle
    Free Member

the idea being to land with the weight momentarily on the ball of the foot and lower the heel down in a controlled way using the calf muscles(this has taken my calves some getting used to). The knee is bent and there should be no jarring.

This shouldn’t produce noise.

marka.
    Free Member

Have a gander at the vivo barefoot training clinic (if you can bear the god-awful “sign up here” popup):

trainingclinic.vivobarefoot.com/

I don’t think it matters hugely which barefoot shoe you go with, as long as it’s comfortable. Just don’t go totally crazy with the barefoot style straight away since you’ll likely knacker bits of your body.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Proper minimalist running wear:

…albeit posh ones.

Very DIY-able.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

be very cautious with the unpadded shoes.

I have been wearing Merrell Tough Gloves for work shoes for the past 5 or so months, and have recently developed pain in my foot which would seem to be due to that 🙁
    Shame as i had just got some Vivo desert boots which were really nice.

*currently wearing shoes with much more structure*

nickc

I don’t think it matters hugely which barefoot shoe you go with, as long as it’s comfortable. Just don’t go totally crazy with the barefoot style straight away since you’ll likely knacker bits of your body.

FIFY etc etc

I’m very skeptical of the whole flat shoe/ barefoot thing. If it works for you, then great, if not, you can do all sorts of sometimes irreversible damage to your body. Find shoes that are comfy and allow you to run pain free. Whether that’s with 12, 6, 3mm or no drop is largely irrelevant.

damo2576
    Free Member

I switched to Newtons and got achilles tendonitis. Not run for 6 weeks now!

Pieface

I have a variety of shoes with different levels of drop. My fell shoes of choice are on Inov 8s 2 scale, which is 6mm differential and think this is about right for me (ATM). They make my Adidas Kanadia’s feel wallowy.

I have a pair of Merrell trail gloves which I did 10k in the other day (1st proper run in them) and the outside of my calves are a bit sore now (3 days on!).

I will replace my Adidas Kanadia’s with some Inov8 Roclite 330s (9mm) for my trainign runs. This is driven by the need for a bit more padding and durability than the fell shoes, but also less differential than the Kanadia’s.

I don’t have any aspirations to go to a 0mm differential as a matter of course, just working with what feels right. I’m using the trail gloves to build up other muscles – a supplementary exercise to reduce injury.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all

I much prefer my 6mms to my previous 12s and it didn’t take long to acclimatise.

I’ve got a mara in 5 weeks and a 70.3 3 weeks after that, then 12 weeks to next running event. Maybe I could get used to 0mm in that time.

The Sauconys appeal as there is padding and they are light as ****.

damo2576
    Free Member

I’ve got a mara in 5 weeks and a 70.3 3 weeks after that

Exmoor?

nickc

Maybe I could get used to 0mm in that time.

maybe you could…what are trying to achieve by going to 0mm drop?

mogrim

I have a pair of Merrell trail gloves which I did 10k in the other day (1st proper run in them) and the outside of my calves are a bit sore now (3 days on!).

That happened to me while I was trying to get used to them, you really have to concentrate on keeping your ankles supple and just touching down on the heel… Had to give up in the end, signed up for a marathon and didn’t want to be getting used to zero drop while simultaneously ramping up the milage…

Once I’m past the marathon I’ll give them another go, they felt pretty good and like you said it’s not a bad idea to strengthen other muscles, particularly the ones in the sole of the foot.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’d seriously think twice about changing kit that works before a marathon.

I love the feeling of barefoot shoes and use them for the odd short run, but realistically the Asics Gel Attracts I use 99% of the time mean I can run faster for longer.

You are allowed to forefoot strike in regular shoes.

There are plenty of 0mm drop shoes with 12mm+ of cushioning also. These are a better option for most runners than barefoot shoes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

I guess I am hoping for more of the same improvement I got when going from 12 to 6mm, though some of that must of course have been down to the lighter new shoes.

*ponders*

IanMunro
    Free Member

There are plenty of 0mm drop shoes with 12mm+ of cushioning also. These are a better option for most runners than barefoot shoes.

Indeed. Hoka’s, which must be the most cushioned shoe in the history of everything ever are zero drop.

nickc

Al, forgot sorry, good luck with your races this year. Hope they go well regardless of what shoes you choose to wear.

cynic-al
    Free Member

nickc, thanks, do you run in low drop shoes?

Is it the lightness rather than the low drop that I am liking, or will I only know by trying some 0mm’s out?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Al, look at the Kinvara’s from Saucony or any of the Asics “Natural” range.

nickc

I’ve got some Innov8 F195 for roadie fast work. I only wear them when I’m doing speed work, never more than 10k. and some brook off road things which are low drop but very cushioned. For long runs (anything up to and over mara distance I use adidas Boston ATM

Sorry the second part…lightness for the F195, they weigh next to nothing and thats a great feeling. the brooks also weigh less than regular shoes but the compromise is that they leak and you can get very wet feet. Bostons are very supportive, over 20 miles I tend to get sloppy about where my foot lands…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers again…SS: why? The Kinvaras are 4mm?

Pieface

I’d give your body time to adjust to the 6mm before going to 0mm. A common theme to injuries is ‘too much too soon ‘

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Q for natural runners’ is closed to new replies.