Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Q for Edinburgh folks – Slateford aqueduct
  • Logic
    Free Member

Just started commuting along the Union Canal from Lochrin Basin to Edinburgh Park, and wondered whether most folks here keep riding along over Slateford aqueduct, or get off and push? I’ve ridden it once but it felt too sketchy for me, so I walk it, but I’ve some right mumpy looks off people riding past. There’s signs asking you to walk but are these just advisory or whatever the right word is?

coogan
    Free Member

I ride across it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I ride across it but give way to people coming the other way – tucking the bike right into the railings to make room. I stay behind people walking the same way

You take up less width sitting on the bike compared to standing beside it.

Stupid sign rightfully ignored with dubious legal standing ( at best)

bigjim

If there is anyone else using the path, get off, otherwise its up to you with your own safety. I know which side I’d rather fall!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I walk the bike across it.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Sub zero temperatures, I’d walk it.

coastkid
    Free Member

safe to wheelie across then? 😮

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

This time next week there might be folk riding along the actual canal.

winstonsmith

wheelie fo sure

hels
    Free Member

Not been along that way for years but don’t think I have ever walked it, even when guiding folk up to the Pentlands. Just take the outside line if walkers approach you have more room. Have heard stories of folk falling in but never seen it happen.

b1galus
    Free Member

puts hand up as a numpty who usually cycles across it but did once slide off into the canal through the ice , not a pleasant morning but hey ho

Logic
    Free Member

eek … aye, think I’ll stick to walking then!

IA

I ride across. But get off and hold my bike out the way (over the water) if there’s someone coming the other way, to let them past.

On one occasion I stopped and got off and used my bike to fish out a little boy’s teddy that had just fallen in out of reach. Made his day that did I think 🙂

b1galus
    Free Member

eek … aye, think I’ll stick to walking then!

to be fair i probably would have gone in if i’d been walking it was pretty icy

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve overtaken a woman with a pram on it. She called me a stupid ****. I didn’t fall in.

I’ve seen a guy fall in the canal under one of the bridges.

b1galus
    Free Member

but AL you is a riding god

heechee
    Free Member

I always wondered about this myself. Have seen plenty of riders riding it and plenty of others walking their bikes.

I usually ride it, but see others huffing and puffing (all along that route), though the major complaint is usually lack of a bell.

I ride it if its clear, dismount and stand nearest the waters edge for others.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You take up less space sitting on the bike than standing beside it. Its easier for a walker to pass it you sit on the bike and tuck right into the railings.

I would never try to overtake anyone tho – just pedal across at walking speed. and always give way to walkers

cynic-al
    Free Member

You knows it al, a frikkin legend.

heechee
    Free Member

Very true tandem, but if you hold the the side of the waters edge, people seem to appreciate it more.

As for overtaking there, all I can say is splash.

7hz
    Free Member

I ride it as fast as I can, if it’s clear. That irons out the cobbles.

If anyone on it, I give way to all and bide my time, no rush.

Wind + ice I may think about walking it.

Overtaking a pram sounds really daft, take it that’s a joke.

heechee
    Free Member

A nice shot, but it doesn’t count if you are sailing 😉

Kunstler

I always ride across. I’ve never overtaken and don’t use the bell when I’m behind someone walking. When I got back into biking several years ago I found the sensory situation of the aquaduct a bit overwhelming. Parallel but above a main trainline, crossing a river and main a road I wanted to look everywhere but always trying not to look away from the cobbles in front and the edge of the canal.
    Easier now as it became my main route to the Pentlands. Tend to ride over it fast if I can as I’m either eager to get to the hills or to get home for food. Not that I’ve done it for a while now.

fatmax

Agree with TJ. Ride every time, but tuck in to the railings if someone is biking/walking the other way…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was young.

I never ride the canal or any bike paths these days. Complete PITA IME, roads are way better for me.

Northwind

It freaks me out so I leave the canal and go along the lanark road for a bit then pick it up again after the bridge. I’m aware this is feeble.

mustard
    Free Member

Hope you’ve all got your British Waterways licence to ride on the tow path! 😉

kennyp
    Free Member

I ride it, but stop if there’s someone walking. I know someone who rode it years ago while clipped in, stopped part way over and fell the wrong way.

dontgetoutenough
    Free Member

only crossed it a few times, ridden it without traffic and pushed with traffic bang on about the lack of space pushing the bike though.
    have never encountered it icy probably make it a proper butt clencher

b1galus
    Free Member

if walking sling the bike up on its back wheel and walk behind it

Gordy
    Free Member

Ride it. Push if there’s someone walking.

Tend to avoid the canal path now anyway. Faster on the road.

druidh
    Free Member

I ride it if I can see it is clear.

I’ve seen someone wheelie along it – a ned on a BSO.

Oh – there is no requirement for a license in Scotland.

tomcrow99

Ride it every time if it’s clear. Even Rode over it with the chariot a few weeks back. Had a mate behind telling me when it was a bit close too the edge though!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I usually ride it but sometimes get off and push if it’s busy. If riding I’d rarely overtake and if I meet someone coming the other way I’ll always take the outside. Riding when a sign asks you not to and then making people pass you on the canalside seems pretty rude to me.

The lady with the pram who called cynic-al a stupid **** for overtaking her there was entirely correct IMHO.

7hz
    Free Member

I enjoy riding the canal path. I can see how it would be annoying if you are on a road bike and it’s rush hour. The path also gets a bit mental in the summer, lots of people. However, ride it at 9pm on a dark crisp winter evening, it is great. Keep meaning to do it all the way to Falkirk.

druidh
    Free Member

7hz – Member
    I enjoy riding the canal path. I can see how it would be annoying if you are on a road bike and it’s rush hour. The path also gets a bit mental in the summer, lots of people. However, ride it at 9pm on a dark crisp winter evening, it is great. Keep meaning to do it all the way to Falkirk Glasgow.

There ya go!

7hz
    Free Member

Ah yeh. Mean to do that sometime too 🙂

Once met a guy who had cycled from Glasgow, met him on the path at Ratho. He looked a bit the worse for wear.

I love the Aqueducts outside of Edinburgh. There is also something therapeutic about cycling along the flat path and the canal for mile after mile, quite different from any other cycling in or about Edinburgh.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No one was hurt – this was in the days of 22″ bars 😎

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve never done the canals end-to-end but I’ve ridden as far as Bonnybridge as I’ve family there. Once out of Edinburgh the towpath is usually very quiet, other than a few points where it goes through towns and around the Falkirk Wheel.

FraserHughes
    Free Member

You take up less space sitting on the bike than standing beside it. Its easier for a walker to pass it you sit on the bike and tuck right into the railings.

I would never try to overtake anyone tho – just pedal across at walking speed. and always give way to walkers

+1

This is exactly what I do. I ride it twice daily on my commmute and have never had any abuse or comments from walkers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Q for Edinburgh folks – Slateford aqueduct’ is closed to new replies.