Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Q for builders: What 'Dry' Screed?
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

at least i’m assuming we call it that in english.

i’m talking abou tpanels such as fermacell to lay onto a slightly too rough slab before tiling, and to provide a bit of insulation.

have you used anything like that? any recommendations?

so far i’ve found the fermacel floor version, which is 2 sheets laminated offset to make overlaps. be nice if it was a bit thinner. Also considering Wedi tile panels, which can be used on a floor and tiled straight onto. probably better insulation than thermacell, and have used before, but i don’t like that they’re extrude polystyrene or whatever they are, and the type of manufacture.

not up fo pouring a liquid screed. i’m by myself and it’ a bit too big an area, plus i’m not great at it, plus i don’t want to moisten my already installed vapour membrane.

anyway, some input would be great, ta

dave28
    Free Member

tile onto an insulation board marmox orsomething like that .
    if the slab is rough and not level . you would probably be wanting to self level it
    how big is the area ?

totalshell

dont want to moisten a vapour mebrane.. i thought the whole idea was it stopped vapour/damp coming through..

bigfoot
    Free Member

marmox/wedi style of insulating backer boards is what i use all the time, easy to cut and fix and not to expensive( unless you buy wedi)

uneven floor can be sorted in the adhesive bed that you stick the boards down with so no need to self level unless its really bad

jamiesilo
    Free Member

thanks bigfoot, that’s what i figured, and have done once before on a small area.
    do you seal-up/glue between the sheets?

don’t want to self level it as i’m not very good with it and it’s 30sq m.

So have ordered wedi, i get it quite cheap and found nothing cheaper.

totalshell, the vapour membrane stops moisture in the air, ie vapour.
    it’ a good, variable, paper-based one, so want to keep it clean.

bigfoot
    Free Member

unless its a wet area like a wet room there’s no need to seal between the sheets.
    as its 30sqm i’m guessing its not but if you do need to seal the joints you can get a self adhesive jointing tape or use tanking paste and reinforcing tape.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Q for builders: What 'Dry' Screed?’ is closed to new replies.