Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PVR/DVD Recorder recommendations please
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm in the market for a PVR. IF the price is right I might consider one that burns to DVD too. My father has a Sony one that cost him ~180 about 18 months ago but I cant find that model anymore. Recommendations from people with them please?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Freeview BTW, I do have access to a sat dish but it's only one output and im not sure it's a workable unit as I've never had anything but freeview.

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

Our Panasonic ones good, can't remember the model number though, sorry.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrchrispy

humax – end of story.
    very easy to use (wife friendly).
    great bit of kit.

uplink
    Free Member

Humax [9200] are as good as it gets for HDD recorders if you want to go for a DVD as well the Panasonics are very good indeed
    As ever avforums.com is the place for detailed reviews

The dish should work if you want to go Freesat – if it isn't – it's a reasonably cheap repair if you're at all handy
    Give me a shout if you want to borrow any equipment to test it

TinMan
    Free Member

Humax 9300t here & agree very wife friendly.
    twin digi tuner, pause live tv etc, 320gb hard drive.

for 120notes on ebay – perfect

skidartist
    Free Member

I used to have a thompson freeview/ top up TV one but had to switch to a Humax freesat when I moved house as the the terrestrial signal wasn't good enough for freeview.

The Thompson had the better programme guide – 2 weeks rather than one, more intuitive to use too. Its only downside was that it was unreliable beyond all imagining. Just about any action would cause it to freeze, lock up. It would fail to delete, fail to record, create fantom recordings that were 23hrs long. Utter utter garbage.

Yours for absolutely no money of you want it, or I can throw a rock at you, not sure which would be kindest.

The Humax interface is a bit more of a fiddle, easy to forget how to do certain things almost as soon as you've worked out how to do them. But….. utterly rock solid reliability. Flawless

thepurist

If it's just for Freeview, see if you can find a lifetime subbed Tivo on ebay. Tivo is the Daddy of PVRs – first hit the shops in around 2001 before anyone knew about hard disk recorders, had a lousy marketing campaign (by $ky in the UK, before they launched $ky+) and so never caught on. Should come in cheaper than the newer boxes, has a user interface that even the mother in law understands and is reliable and hackable.

whyter

John Lewis do one that can show iplayer (and other channels' versions of iplayer) via your wifi connection. Fetch TV I think it's called. No experience of using it, tho.

MartynS

Humax all the way, but…

utterly rock solid reliability. Flawless

mine drops series links, which is quite annoying and has crashed a few times. A bit of fiddling has sorted it for the moment, however there is nothing better out there!

andy_hamgreen

humax 9300t here – seems pretty good but yes…. I've noticed you have to keep an eye on the series links…thought it was my imagination…. and how on earth do you delete a programme whilst it's recording ?

samuri
    Free Member

This is what we have and it utterly rocks!

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/5749632/Sony-RDR-HXD890-160GB-HDD-Freeview-DVD-Recorder/Product.html?&engine=froogle_electronics&keyword=Sony+RDR-HXD890+160GB+HDD+Freeview+DVD+Recorder+(Black)&_$ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:5749632|cat:Freeview#

Does everything we want it too. We have a massive folder full of DVD's that we've backed up off this thing with no difficulties. It rocks. Which I might have said.

My wife can set it to record a full week of soaps without asking for my help, which means it has the simplest UI on planet earth.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PVR/DVD Recorder recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.