Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Putting together a groupset
  • SaxonRider

If I was putting together a complete groupset, and was tempted by the lot on sale at a place like, say, Ribble, do you think that would be more or less economical than putting together the set with separate pieces from ebay?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

You might get all the bits (or a full g/set) from eBay but you’d have to be patient probably. Not sure really how much you’d save though, and you’d have to find the correct one with right length cranks for you, right cassette ratio, etc. plus no come bck if it goes bang.

Unless its a significant saving I’d say go for Ribble. There’s new stuff (and some s/hand or ‘just taken off my new bike’ kit) on eBay thats more expensive than CRC/Ribble as startng bids!

cubicboy
    Free Member

Presumably you’re talking about a road groupset? If you are, the prices are pretty much matched across the board at the online retailers. I bought an Ultegra groupset from CRC about six months ago using my 10% British Cycling discount code: it saved me circa £50 @ £450. I did spend a couple of weeks checking eBay every day but in the end just couldn’t be bothered to wait for the exact part. That said, I’ve just put together an MTB groupset from a mixture of online and eBay and have saved a fortune… but you’ve always got balance the risk and reward of cheap component / faulty component (that you can’t return).

ton

just bought 2 x complete 9spd groupset. for the future.
    £129 each.

devash
    Free Member

@ ton – care to tell us fellow 9 speed dinosaurs where you got them from?

scotroutes

I’ve just taken a 9 speed XTR groupset off a frame I’m selling. I’ll stick it on the classifieds but I’m not expecting much.

ton

devash, crc.

SaxonRider

I was talking about a road groupset, but I’ll now be keeping my eye on the classifieds for your XTR set, scotroutes. What year is it?

devash
    Free Member

Nice one, will have a look what they have going.

nathb
    Free Member
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Putting together a groupset’ is closed to new replies.