Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • putting good road bike away for winter…..
  • iainc

it’s clean, it’s dry, it stays in an integral garage, so no dampness, the drivetrain hasn’t got a load of gunk on it as I use Stealth Lube.

Should I do anything else to it before leaving it till Spring ? Don’t think a full drivetrain degrease and relube would be of particular benefit as I am always against washing a dry bike…

trail_rat
    Free Member

i suggest removing – or at least removing and sticking grease/fibregrip as applicable.

from prior experiance of putting the good road bike away for winter and finding out in spring its stuck fast

iainc

trail rat – seatpost ?

good point, mine is a teardrop carbon Giant post in a Giant Composite Frame, so will pop it out and redo with carbon paste.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

or pop out and leave out

fasthaggis

I take the chain and block off as they go on to the winter bike .
    Never bothered with taking the seat post out,but might go and do that as it’s getting a new saddle in the spring anyway.

TiRed

mine’s tucked up in bed already ;-). Seatpost? doesn’t have one.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Eh?

Fit guards and carry on 😉

iainc

steve – fortunately I have a cx bike that gets guards etc on it for winter road miles 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Eh? A shared transmission? Defeats the whole point surely!?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Eh? A shared transmission? Defeats the whole point surely!?

POSTED 13 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I’m assuming he uses the chain and cassette all winter, then puts a new one on? Pretty sensible I’d say.

Haze

No winter bike so at most it’ll get treated to some mudguards for those days where I can ride it somewhere other than the turbo trainer.

jonba
    Free Member

Clean, service, lube as you suggest then put it away. Best to get the servicing done so it is all ready to go come spring and there are no nasty suprises when the first of the good weather arrives.

I attach mine to a turbo so it still gets used. I’ve still got some more rides to do on mine yet. Sunderland Clarion hill climb on Sunday and then the national hill climb the week after.

For winter I’ll be using my CX or commuter unless we get some freaky warm dry weather.

fasthaggis

I’m assuming he uses the chain and cassette all winter, then puts a new one on? Pretty sensible I’d say

correct

My CX really likes the upgrade before winter 🙂

takisawa2

This is a sad thread.
    Not sad as in nerdy sad.
    But emotionally sad.
    End of the summer type sad.
    Running alongside the train gripping the hand of your summer romance as She leaves town type sad.
    Very sad.
    (Like me).

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fit guards and carry on

+1, raceblade longs went on 2 weeks ago allong with some cheep shimano wheels, cheep tyres and tubes.

Everything else will cary on as normal.

Which is wierd, as I’ve 3 winter/commuter/tourer bikes in the shed in various states of dissrepair that never get used as a result.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Keep putting off attaching the raceblades as if it’s the final nail in the coffin of summer or something! Would love to move this one over to winter bike duties and get something carbon come Spring though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes I think the time has come. Is a bit sad. I’ll probably take mine apart, wrap it all up, then stick it in a bike bag in the loft till summer.

Though it does have me thinking about treating the winter bike to some new bits 🙂

TiRed

Put mine on this morning. Took the off and will fit PDW permanent ones to another bike. Thie fixed road bike wears mudguards all year though.

The winter road bike is the Cat4 crashfest bike with original wheels. The nice road bike is for E1234. The carbon faired wheels don’t like water so may come out for a dry race over the winter.

iainc

thanks all, tomorrow is the day methinks. Will take out and recarbon paste the seat tube, put some cable magic on the gear and brake cables and give the quite clean drivetrain an oily rag wipe, as don’t want to soak the bike before leaving it, as water can hang around in places if it’s not being used.

Need to also clean up the cx bike and swop tyres around in anticipation of selling it for a new one in a few weeks, so not all depressing 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

Winter is coming.

Squirrels fear the winter.

But we are not squirrels.

damitamit
    Free Member

Mine got its last ride last week and now the winter bike is out to play. Not all gloom thou; just put Di2 on the winter steed 🙂

montarius
    Free Member

Wow, am I the only one who just has 1 road bike??

I’m not scared of rain…

mrchrispy

I’v going to give mine a light service, stick on teh cheap shimano wheels and pop it on the turbo. where it’ll probably remain untouched until spring as I’d rather go out in the cold and dark that sit on a turbo 🙂

stumpy01

montarius – Member
    Wow, am I the only one who just has 1 road bike??

I’m not scared of rain…

1 road bike here. Gonna get some raceblade longs for it I think…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mine got its last ride last week and now the winter bike is out to play. Not all gloom thou; just put Di2 on the winter steed

How do you get on with that? Brought the summer bike with Di2 out a bit early this year and found hitting the shift buttons with proper thick winter gloves quite tricky.

Haze

Say it every October, I must get a winter option sorted for next year…

damitamit
    Free Member

How do you get on with that? Brought the summer bike with Di2 out a bit early this year and found hitting the shift buttons with proper thick winter gloves quite tricky.

Dunno yet. Haven’t taken it out in full winter glove weather. Had light winter gloves on in the rain on Sunday and it seemed fine.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Shouldn’t you smear it in goose fat, wrap it in a blanket and store it in the lift until the snows cleared from the Eaglesham moor 😉

I use my good good road bike all year but it’s only ever used in dry weather anyway so there will be lots of use throughout winter.

cheers_drive

I use the same bike all year just adding Road Racers and swapping the wheels once the roads stop drying up after a couple of hours.
    Come December though I’ll have a new summer bike so I can swap my current frame for one that will take proper mudguards.

iainc

Shouldn’t you smear it in goose fat, wrap it in a blanket and store it in the lift until the snows cleared from the Eaglesham moor

🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Put away in the bike bag. Tyres removed and wheels in wheel bags. Always remove the chainset as well, just like to get it ‘as new’ clean. Won’t be touched until a re cable and new tape before it’s first race in April.

campkoala
    Free Member

Being a tough beer drinking, fag smoking cartoon koala rather than a softy English squirrel my good (only) roadbike has mudguards and lights fitted all year round so it’s ready to be ridden no matter what the weather.
    Do you guys really only ride your nice bikes in fair weather?

What are we talking here? £2k bikes carefully put away and crappy old £200 bikes actually ridden instead? or £5k+ superbikes? Either way, no thanks! as with mtb if it’s too precious to ride, why bother owning it?

iainc

What are we talking here? £2k bikes carefully put away and crappy old £200 bikes actually ridden instead? or £5k+ superbikes? Either way, no thanks! as with mtb if it’s too precious to ride, why bother owning it?

err, no, maybe read my posts 🙂

Good carbon road bike (2k ish) and cx bike (1k ish) which gets guards and 32c touring tyres on it to help with crappy winter roads. Not a case of precious, just a case of what is more appropriate to the conditions..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not so much that… well ok maybe a little bit of that. More that my winter bike has guards permanently fitted. It’s got crappy wheels and decent winter tyres. Pads that are good in the wet. Also mechanical shifters instead of Di2 (too fiddly with thick winter gloves). It’s also not as racey a riding position for longer slower winter riding. The way it’s set up it’s just a better tool for the job. It’s not a rubbish bike but it was only about 500 quid second hand from a mate.

campkoala
    Free Member

Sorry,question wasn’t directed just to you. Iain.
    Interesting you ride different roads in winter too? Why’s that?

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s not so much different roads. Riding through winter on back roads you get all sorts of crap washed on to the roads. Loads of gravel, mud, wet leaves, etc. more potholes, puddles. So same roads but different conditions.

campkoala
    Free Member

Ah.. Thanks mrblobbly, hadn’t thought of Di2 shifters being a problem but I don’t ever wear thick gloves. Strange you want a different position for winter though rather than just riding the hoods/tops a bit more.. How many miles are your long rides?

campkoala
    Free Member

I mainly ride those sort of roads year round and in the dark so always use 4 season tyres (no bigger than 25mm though)
    Rarely ride in busy traffic so normal brake pads are fine for me.

iainc

Sorry,question wasn’t directed just to you. Iain

no worries 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

Strange you want a different position for winter though rather than just riding the hoods/tops a bit more.. How many miles are your long rides?

If the roads are a bit sketchy I just feel more in control and can see the road ahead better in a less extreme riding position (my race bike is a bit head down!) It’s probably more this than distance as I’m happy spending a few hours on either bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘putting good road bike away for winter…..’ is closed to new replies.