Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Putting bar ends on a riser bar
  • JonR
    Free Member

Is it the ulimate faux pas or a practical solution to a mixture of long slog comfort and ridability on your all purpose bike?

I used to think the former but I’m now starting to lean towards the latter.

scruff
    Free Member

Riserzs & bar endz -same riderz who dont take off mudguardz for the summer, and use the foot hoops on Ron Hills…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

[whisper]I’m going to use some ergons with integrated bar ends on some low risers for enduros etc this year[/whisper]

Though, if I have anything to do with it, the fashion police will have a hard time catching up with me.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Some fashionistas will tell you it is wrong, but I used bar ends on risers for a long time and found them comfortable and convenient. In fact I quite liked the anti-fashion statement it made and getting up peoples noses. A bit like wearing baggy shorts over leggings.

However, since my riding has got more ‘extreme’ (tongue in cheek) I have felt less need for them and have taken them off, but I do miss them on long climbs.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Who cares? Even if you look like a spacker, if it works for you then do it.

JonR
    Free Member

Riserzs & bar endz -same riderz who dont take off mudguardz for the summer, and use the foot hoops on Ron Hills…

Whilst I appreciate the acceptable level of scorn the excessive use of the letter z suggests you are a yoof and maybe a new metal fan so I’m guessing we are from different social circles. Good to get feedback though.

matt_outandabout

My ST4 is going to gain some – but then I intend to buy some flat but curvy bars and a higher rise stem in the future…

ozzybmx
    Free Member

as said above , there are egonomic grips that give the same leverage as bar ends , but not the hand position … yes , unless you are the winner of your group … or ahead of me , you look woosy 😆

ampthill

I thought the problem was bar ends being odd feeling that for apart

Stuff fashion

I’ve thought of trying Mary bars instead

Pippalarge
    Free Member

My epic is currently sporting wcs risers complemented with bar-ends and ergon race grips – got to be comfort over fashion… shit i can’t believe i just said that… beige slacks and clarks shoes are beckoning…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I thought the problem was bar ends being odd feeling that for apart

nah, they’re just grand 700mm apart.

martyntr
    Free Member

This old cookie…….. always the same… barends on risers, aslong as they’re stubbies, like the Carbon Ergons on my superlight.

Very much function over fashion, but I think mine look great.

The downhill types no doubt will feel differently.. 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

Go for it, if not for the comfort then just for the fun of winding up those that think its wrong.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I would no more have bar ends on my riser bars than I would wear baggie shorts when road riding. Having seen this topic many times now it is clear that I value fashion over function. Shame it doesn’t extend to my “everyday” dress.

trail_rat
    Free Member

not just bar ends on risers with ergon grips but tri bars too 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

…and I bet it’s good how those Ron Hill leg loops stop your trousers riding up, eh 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

…although I must say I used to wear Ron Hills all those years ago on my first Spesh Hardrock…with fluorescant bar ends too!

disben

I have cane creek ergo bar ends on my riser bar – its a good addition – best of both worlds – control and width for singletrack – with the bar ends for added benifit for climbs and fast downhill / flat

Smee
    Free Member

Terry – all that is missing from that pic is a dynamo and a bell.

stoney
    Free Member

I would not be without them and you should nt make comment until you ve tried them.

I think they look ok.

crispybacon
    Free Member

I have risers & bar ends but I haven’t got any Ron Hill’s tho 🙂

It may look an odd combination to some people but for the rider they are well worth the time & effort fitting them. They give you the benefit of another riding position when climbing & a lower stretched out position when descending.

AndyP
    Free Member

same riderz who dont take off mudguardz for the summer,
    surely anyone who has mudguards in the first place, whether they take them off in summer or not, is a numpty and quite possibly would wear Ron Hills at all times?

manitou
    Free Member

cant have bar ends on riser bars cause they stop your rig looking like a moto x’er….. 😉

Mole
    Free Member

crispy bacon-bar ends are the least of your worries 😉

wonnyj
    Free Member

I think they look pretty terrible and I’m not the type to worry about such things usually. In fact baggies over leggings is well cool.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

what u have suggested is almost as bad as not having the logo on tyres lined up with the valve

now switch off the PC and birch yourself for an hour in the garden

Hairychested
    Free Member

A slightly worrying issue is that should you crash and fly over the bars you’re rather likely to get hit in the kidney by one of them. Apparently some 30% of all “flights” end with a pierced kidney.
    Beware, it might’ve been MBUK where I read it ages ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Putting bar ends on a riser bar’ is closed to new replies.