Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Putting 700×25 tubes into 700×32 tyres….
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Will they go pop!!?

antigee

not in my non-rad riding experience*

*bike riding is a hazardous pastime and tyre/tube selection is a personal safety choice, please retain this forum

edit as in done loads of times and used offroad but i’m a lightweight and possibly a coward

miketually
    Free Member

I bought slightly undersized tubes for my 28c tyres and they were fine. Rubber’s stretchy 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Might do, but 7mm isn’t exactly a lot.

I’ve got a 1.75″ conti touring tube in the rear wheel on my SS with a 2.1″ racing Ralph on there, hasn’t gone bang yet

leggyblonde
    Free Member

they shouldn’t go pop, but they will puncture VERY easily if you ride offroad.

honourablegeorge

I managed to squeeze a 700×32 tube into a 700×23 tyre the other day. I suspect I did a stupid. I have the proper size tubes now, but no real inclination to fix it until something goes wrong.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I tried 700×45 in 700×65 tyres on advice from the bike shop who said it would be fine, and they were a definite pop every time. So at that range it is a really bad idea. I’d guess 7mm will probably be okay, but they are going to be quite stretched.

My top tip is don’t accept the advice of a bike shop who might tell you they are okay just to sell a tube!

psling
    Free Member

Shouldn’t go pop. 700×25 tubes are designed for 100psi plus pressures, you’ll only likely be running 60 – 80psi or so in a 32 tyre. Tyre beads may not sit so tight though.

mortuk2k
    Free Member

Had one go pop for this reason on a recent cycle tour. Luggage off, wheel out, changed tube, pumped it up….pop. Start all over again.
    I hadn’t noticed I’d taken 700×25 tubes instead of 32’s. Tube was a brand new conti one, had an inch split along the seam. Popped at about 80psi.

loddrik
    Free Member

Well, just been out ridin’ on ’em (on the hybrid), didn’t go pop but did get a puncture. Dunno if it was caused by the tubes though.

miketually
    Free Member

they shouldn’t go pop, but they will puncture VERY easily if you ride offroad.

Until I put big tyres on again at the weekend, I’ve been running 23 tubes in 28 tyres for ages with no punctures. Commuted on them and taken them on off-road stuff too, with no problems.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Putting 700×25 tubes into 700×32 tyres….’ is closed to new replies.