Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Pure vanity purchases
  • davosaurusrex

I’ve also been hankering after a 1″ CK headset for my Park tools toilet roll holder for some years. One day….

honourablegeorge

I like to have headset spacers the same brand as my stem.

So ridiculously overpriced Hope spacers on the hardtail, and ridiculously overpriced Syntace ones on the full sus. Seriously considering a Syntace top cap too.

onandon
    Free Member

This week I ordered this

because the colour matched my green Gabba better than the yellow mechanical ultegra version.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 njee wins. Matching Oakleys is pure class.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I had one of them

I hate you… 😆

puddings
    Free Member

Just to annoy a riding buddy who likes everything to match, right down to valve caps, I splashed out on a red thomson face plate and top cap to go on my lime green FF29. I also installed it upside down. It is highly amusing to see how many people actually get upset about it.

gazhurst
    Free Member

Just like njee…I have a large collection of Oakleys (Radar EV’s and Jawbreakers) that have been custom made to match. I have a pair of ‘urban camo’ Radar EV’s that I had made by Optiek Van Gorp in Belgium just so that they matched my Northwave shoes and matching gloves.

I also once drove to Belgium for the day to visit a store that sold a t-shirt that matched the brand of bike I rode, just because I couldnt get it in the UK and didnt want to wait for the delivery

davosaurusrex

gazhurst is the new absolute mentalist leader….drove to Belgium for a T-shirt!

pictonroad

bloody hell you lot. 😯

I’m in awe, I think.

I can’t think of a single example. 🙄

freeagent
    Free Member

Recent purchases include-

Ti rotor bolts for my Arkose as the black bolts looked a bit scabby and were starting to corrode.

Engraved top caps from Kustom Kaps for both my road bikes.

I’m just about to order some Ti calliper bolts for the Arkose as the steel ones don’t look very nice, and are starting to corrode.

The chain is also starting to look a bit scabby so a nice Gold KMC one might be on the cards.

RustyMac

A spurcycles bell.

Well 2 of them one in black one in silver. I only needed a bell for my commuter but couldn’t make up my mind which one to get, in reality a £2.99 one form Halfords would have done fine.

Silver one is sat in my spares box for when the black one dies. Both were purchased at the same time from the states and delivery and tax came to half as much as the cost of the bells.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

i was going to say the Thompson Elite seatpost that is on my ratty fixed gear commuter, just because i needed a seatpost to fonosh the buils and that was the one in my spares box that was the right size..

but some of these ones are pure class and beat me hands down

spawnofyorkshire

I put matching Deda kit throughout on my old commuter, it was nice enough that when I built up a nice genesis steel road frame i just transfered it all over. Far too nice for a crappy cyclocross commuter.

None of my finishing kit matches on my MTB and that’s my favourite bike

TiRed

Arundel carbon bottle cages#. OK, they are light, beautifully made and I’ve never had a bottle come loose. But they are three times the price of Elite Ciussi gel cages, that work just as well. Degenkolb won Paris Roubaix with those alloy cages.

Green valve caps from my latex inner tubes to match the green Pave tyres to match the green highlights on my Defy SL.

Ritchey carbon top cap to match the forks, bars, stem and seatpost.

#And I have SIX of them – two on each carbon road bike in different shades 😳

ndthornton
    Free Member

I recently put a dropper post on one of my bikes….but I found I couldn’t ride it until I had bought a bolted seat clamp to replace the QR one. Why is this!!!

jekkyl

Anyone who’s bought a full sus and doesn’t do DH or jumps. Mincers the lot of you 😉

rascal
    Free Member

Well I’m glad I’m not on my own 🙂
    There are some proper OCD gimps out there!

Kahurangi

I recently put a dropper post on one of my bikes….but I found I couldn’t ride it until I had bought a bolted seat clamp to replace the QR one. Why is this!!!

Because you’re a silly, that’s why. When (not if, when) you send your dropper off for a service you’ll need the QR to make do with a rigid seatpost while you wait. Also you want a QR for the extra double drop when it gets reeeeallly steep.

Oh, and you lot make me feel so much better about myself, thank you

chakaping
    Free Member

Erm, I sold some green pedals and replaced them with gold ones when I changed bikes once.

Bit lame compared to most of you though.

Kryton57

You can spot the people in here that don’t have kids a mile away.

freeagent
    Free Member

You can spot the people in here that don’t have kids a mile away.

Yep – you are dead right there.
    Hence why my bike spending is restricted to a few bolts and other trinkets rather than carbon everything.

The money we spend every year on Dance/Gymnastics/swimming/piano lessons would buy me a good few pairs of Oakleys!

Rubber_Buccaneer

The money we spend every year on Dance/Gymnastics/swimming/piano lessons

You should take the kids, they’d love it

bullroar
    Free Member

A set if gunmetal Hope jockey wheels to match all the other Hope bits on my BFe. Most of the time they are so covered in crap the colour is hidden. Utterly pointless but oddly satisfying to know they match.

somafunk

I guess you could call my Tripster a vanity build seeing as i cannot even manage to cycle the 4 miles to work on it these days, (no muscle power/spinal injury), thank god for my Scott E-Genius. I guess i should really consider selling it as it’s not turned a pedal in over 6months.

Houns

Doesn’t every have Oakley’s in various colours to match stuff? Oh!

tomhoward

The story of the expensive free stickers….

Have singlespeed jump bike. It’s a bit small for rides of more than a few miles
    Bought on one inbred, while drunk.
    Swapped all bits to inbred
    Swapped no name seat post to Thomson masterpiece (possibly the only bike with a rigid, metal seat post that costs more than the frame it sits in)
    Swapped no name headset to Chris King
    Swapped spank stem for Thomson
    Swapped Thomson stem bolts to gold Ti ones to match headset and hubs
    Swapped chain to gold halflink to match above
    Swapped marz shiver SC for reba, because flex.
    Swapped Hayes 9 brakes for hope tech x2. Because CNC.

Text message from Stif

‘Your replacement stickers for your wheels are in’
    ‘I notice you have chameleon frames on offer…’

Swapped Inbred for chameleon
    Needed new dropouts, rear axle and headset
    120mm Rebas won’t really cut it on a chameleon
    Swapped rebas for 150mm pikes
    Swapped 711 carbon bars for 750 carbon bars
    Swapped masterpiece for reverb.
    Tyres are a bit skinny
    Swapped 2.25 Nobby nics for 2.4 HRIIs
    Bored of singlespeed
    Swap drivetrain for X1 1×11
    Don’t need clips anymore
    Swap xt trail spds for burgtec penthouse mkIV

Keep for 18 months, don’t ride it that much, Mstomhoward needs a new frame, but none of her components will fit anything new.

Swap chameleon frame for banshee rune. Give to mstomhoward.

Northwind

I just bought 2 pairs of decathlon clear glasses, one for the camelbak I use with the fatbike, and the other for the camelbak I use for the normalbike. They’re both exactly the same, and clear, which means they match.

tomhoward

Shameless upgraditis…

2013 Trek Madone 5.2, bought in end of season sale (August) as a summer bike, mechanical ultegra, decent enough spec.
    Swapped to full DA9000 Di2 after 6 months, having done less than 100 miles.
    Swapped wheels to DA9000 C50, same weight, just moar aero and, mainly, matches the drivetrain.
    Swapped saddle for pardigm rxxxl
    Swapped stem for same but carbon
    Swapped bars for same but aero carbon
    Swapped tyres for GP4000s.

Plus a ton of kit to match (helpfully, black)

Since all these upgrades, I’ve ridden it another 150 miles, but nothing since last July.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Chainring worn on the commuter. Thought cranks were a bit rubbish. perused eBay.

FS K Force carbon cranks and new chainring.
    Then Selle Italia carbon saddle.
    Then Bontrager carbon seat post.
    Then Bontrager carbon bars.
    Then Bontrager carbon stem.

Total number of commutes this year? 0 😆

thebrowndog
    Free Member

I spent many, many, many hundreds of pounds “refurbishing” my battered Condor Pista. When it was resprayed I had them remove the bottle bosses and fill in the rear brake bridge so it wouldnt take a rear brake and could only be ridden fixed. Nice Halo wheels and cranks, Brooks Swift saddle, Paul Components brake lever. Shit I even put a Super Record brake on it. The whole thing was one great vanity project. It thought it was so pretty I stopped riding it in foul weather and bought another bike for commuting.

[/url]

flossie
    Free Member

Three helmets in colours to match the appropriate jerseys.

aracer
    Free Member

and

?

padkinson
    Free Member

I’ve also been hankering after a 1″ CK headset for my Park tools toilet roll holder for some years. One day….

There’s one in the bog at work and the bearings are disappointingly rough in the stock one,so I’m considering an upgrade too. I might try making a better one out of the old Colnago frame in the shed though.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Stand up like in an Aa meeting

My OCD level hurts so both my rides are the same colour same tyres same wheels brakes and cranks, same saddle dropper and bars, and I’d do it again,,

Crush and Five 🙂

ddmonkey

All the XTR bits on my bike, when XT or even Deore would do perfectly well…

bueller
    Free Member

I scraped some paint off a new Mojo HD leaning it up a wall, so sold the frame and bought another (identical) one and swapped everything over. 😳

DezB
    Free Member

Set of XTR brakes for my Big Top. I mean, an XTR crankset and Avid brakes? Just won’t do!
    I did buy a Thomson top cap for the Tripster too cos it has Thomsom bars and stem. A minor indulgence.

tomhoward

@stevedoc, know what you mean. The only difference between my Newmad and 5010 are the frames (and shock, same colour though), rear tyre, stem and grips.

I know what I like and like what I know.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Pretty much everything on my two full suss bikes is a vanity purchase. I’ve the riding skills of a freshly greased walrus and the co-ordination most people possess after pint number eight.

But I feel better riding my bikes with Pikes, shiny Hope kit and other bits of bling.

Northwind

bueller – Member

I scraped some paint off a new Mojo HD leaning it up a wall, so sold the frame and bought another (identical) one and swapped everything over

I fancy a Remedy 29 Carbon, don’t suppose you fancy buying one and leaning it against a wall?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Pure vanity purchases’ is closed to new replies.