Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Pure Racing i850 Seatpost
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

Had an email through earlier, always fancied giving a dropper type seat post a go, for £60 I reckon it might be worth a punt. Anyone have any thoughts on them?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I got that too. Quite fancy it but it implies it also acts as a suspension seatpost which I really don’t want!

BillyBull
    Free Member

It appears to be the same as the one from America for 30 dollars or something. Was mentioned here a while back, but didn’t have very good reviews. Can’t remember it’s name, will have to have a look.

robhughes
    Free Member

i take it that 27.2 is the only size?

s8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the Sette ones and it works fine. It looks a ringer for the i850.

You don’t notice the suspension in the post as the action is pretty stiff. They do feel a little heavy and they do seem to have a running in period but otherwise very good.

Stuart

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Yeah I believe 27.2 is the only size at the moment.

Well I’ve ordered one, worth a go. Will report back on how I get on with it…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

DrP has one, used in the Alps recently. Seems like a very good bit of kit for the money.
    It really only gives a ‘suspension seatpost’ effect of you sit on the nose of the saddle. Sitting nearer the back usually locks it out (Flex I guess)
    For the money it’s as good or better then a Gravity Dropper, IMO and if they did a 30.9 I’d have one. (I don’t like shimmed posts after cracking a Ti frame because of one)

You can get them from Europe for something around £50 delivered I think.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Seriously, can we get some link action here please!

nina
    Free Member

i would link but I’m aware that most have just had breakfast and would probably like to keep it down….

GaryLake
    Free Member

Nevermind, found on leisure lakes and ordered.

turnip
    Free Member

shims are fine, as long as you get good 100mm long ones.

I had a bounce on one at leisure lakes and it looked awesome for the money

GaryLake
    Free Member

Both my bikes are 27.2 so I might stick a spare saddle on it and a) swap it between bikes and b) save it for nice days as it’ll no doubt keel over in one wet ride like most do…

DrP

As PP states, I beasted mine around the alps for a week, with little problem.
    It’s a pretty device (as they should be i suppose) as it just needs to go up and down when I want it to!

Good points are:
    It’s dirt cheap compared to the others – there’s no ignoring that fact
    It’s one of the only ones that fit my 27.2 bike
    It’s got the lever under the seat – i still think it’s the neatest and a very user friendly design.
    It’s infinitely adjustable (i.e. can be stopped anywhere along it’s uppy downy length

Bad points:
    Not as light as others
    Does have a bit of play, perhaps more than Andy’s gravity dropper, but un-noticeable when riding.
    Is like an adjustable suspension seatpost i.e. it can bounce up and down about 20mm, but this only happens if you sit on it in the ‘line of travel’. As my seatpost is quite layback, you have to sit abnormally on the nose for the seat to squich down – in normal riding it just doesn’t happen.

Would I reccommend it to a friend – definitely, It’s dirt cheap compared to others and does it’s job well.
    I’m gonna attempt to take it apart for a grease and polish, so hopefully no high pressure bolts will burst through my face….

DrP

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks for the review DrP, I look forward to trying mine out when it arrives, of to Afan next weekend also so that’ll be a good test for it…

I’d rather have a piece of dogshit flick up off my front wheel than attach this to my bike.

DrP

Good. Let’s all hope that happens then….

DrP

rolfharris
    Free Member

It’ll last 6 months. Wish I had £60 to blow on cheap toss.

J0N
    Free Member

rolfharris – Member
    It’ll last 6 months. Wish I had £60 to blow on cheap to.

Just like the £250 posts then. I know what I’d rather spend. Might give it a go a some point.

igm

Got one from xxcycles about 3, 4 months ago. Not super plush but serviceable. Does what it says, but it can get a little sticky on the way down and take a couple of goes to drop – probably off centre weight. Comes up every time. Easily worth £60 but not a £150 plus job – good job their only charging £60 then.

DrP

IGM – did you find service details on the web?
    If not, could you briefly let me know of any pitfalls to avoid when unscrewing the post.
    Also, how do you ‘re-pressurise’ it on putting it back together?

Cheers

DrP

DrP – Member
    Good. Let’s all hope that happens then….

DrP

Thankfully you won’t be there to see it – and as a bonus I wont have to look at your ugly seatpost whilst I have crap on my face, or at any other time, ever!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The artist – wtf does it matter what your bike looks like? its a machine for riding not a fashion statement. I bet you’d rather be covered in dog poop than have mudguards as well

naokfreek
    Free Member

here here TJ….

as for a rack?

it would end in a ban i reckon….

TandemJeremy – Member
    The artist – wtf does it matter what your bike looks like? its a machine for riding not a fashion statement. I bet you’d rather be covered in dog poop than have mudguards as well

Here’s my last bike.

It’s cheap crap – I wouldn’t put it on any bike even my 12 year old mishmash hardtail. Oh, and it’s fugly.

Rampage
    Free Member

Bargain, does it work on air or spring?
    It’s air then it’s probably a poor lockout that gives it the ‘suspension post’ action, rather than it being intentional!

I actually made my own adjustable post for the sum of £3 from parts from my local tip! It worked very well, untill it bent!

It’s about time someone built one for a reasonable price! Specialized’s one is £250!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

apologies then artist

No worries teej

GaryLake
    Free Member

Wow, mine's arrived already! Nice one Leisure Lakes! I had a parcel turn up at work and I couldn't figure out what it was, only expecting a Macbook and some tees at the moment – it just seemed too early to be the seatpost already esp as it was listed as coming soon!

Ok, out of the box, it's heavy, let's not pretend otherwise!

Looks – not bad actually, remains to be seen how it looks on the bike but it's a country mile better looking the the GD posts and it's fairly discreet (red handle aside).

I have no idea what the action is like purely because there's now way I could compress it on arm strength alone anyway!

Sadly all my bikes are dead right now awaiting some part or another but will feed back and include pics once I finally get it fitted! AT this rate it'll be going on the singlespeed first as the Five needs a new bearing kit…

clubber
    Free Member

Drop it round mine Gary and I'll test it for you 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

RAD.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>It's cheap crap – I wouldn't put it on any bike<

LOL – said the man with the green bike, brown forks and gairish black fenders

The post isn't exactly a work of great beauty either but then any black post is going to be fairly indiscreet. If it works and its cheap I can't really the see the problem

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Discreet that is 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

i wish you could still buy those bd

GaryLake
    Free Member

Judging by how battered and scraped the post is on that green spesh, the i850 would be a visual upgrade!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

From what I saw of DrP's post recently, they are anything BUT crap!
    Cheap? Oh certainly. But they are well made and work well too.
    How other compaines can get away with charging £150-£200 for 2 tubes and a spring is beyond me, frankly…..

nina
    Free Member

maybe the extra money goes into removing the bonus inch of sus travel?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Or into marketing BS?

😛

peachos
    Free Member

still dont really understand these things. £60-£250 to save you the hassle of getting off your bike for a sec, undoing the QR dropping your seat and then tightening you QR again.

balmy!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Pure Racing i850 Seatpost’ is closed to new replies.