Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Purchasing a specialized diverge pro carbon. Should I wait for deals?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Am after a specialized diverge pro carbon, but have always resisted paying full price for a new bike and try and get a previous years one discounted.

They seem to be pretty rare and I cannot find any deals.

Anyone have any ideas aside from trawling the web on a daily basis on the best way of getting one with ~ 25% off?

simondbarnes

Anyone have any ideas aside from trawling the web on a daily basis on the best way of getting one with ~ 25% off?

Buy a bike shop?

jmatlock
    Free Member

Any Specialized dealer will do 20% off if you ask nicely.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

flanagaj
    Free Member

Any Specialized dealer will do 20% off if you ask nicely.

Really. How does one approach said retailer? Rolled trouser leg?

jmatlock
    Free Member

Just ask. I have bought 3 Specialized bikes in the last 3 years. Always decent deals to be had.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Just ask. I have bought 3 Specialized bikes in the last 3 years. Always decent deals to be had.

Fair point. Never really tried asking in store.

wiggles
    Free Member

Any Specialized dealer will do 20% off if you ask nicely

You have to do more than ask me nicely 😉

jmatlock
    Free Member

Some, like Wiggles, may require a handjob or such like so you may have to man up.

20% though! Easy money.

wiggles
    Free Member

I only gave a family member 10% off a bike today… So you’d have to be pretty special for 20%!

jmatlock
    Free Member

Or maybe you choose to make slightly more margin than some other dealers. That’s ok too.

I used 2 different dealers. One off purchase from both. Desirable models, ordered in and not from display.

The third was ex display, I won’t disclose the discount but it was much better than the other two.

At 10% discount you made a chunk of profit on your family member deal. (Again, this a good thing! Shops need to make a profit)

But let’s not imply that margins are tight on Specialized bikes.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Some, like Wiggles, may require a handjob or such like so you may have to man up.

20% though! Easy money. 🙄 I can’t, I’d feel dirty.

wiggles
    Free Member

Obviously not saying anything specific but they did reduce their margin on 2016 bikes compared to previous years to price bikes more competitively.

Dealers can choose to sell what they want for what they want of course, a lot of it obviously comes down to how desperate they are to get a pricey bike out the door.

Some shops will offer people discount automatically without even asking for it…

jmatlock
    Free Member

Agreed, there are loads of factors.

I wouldn’t want him to miss out on a blinding bike through not wanting to pay RRP

Someone will do 20% if he is happy to ring around.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Having just compared the specs in detail, you are paying an extra £1500 on rrp for the pro carbon just for the carbon roval wheels, dura ace front/rear mech and spec chainset. All very nice, but not sure it’s a big enough deal to go for it off the shelf. You could upgrade those parts yourself for pretty much the same price.

Given the frames are all identical I am tempted to go for the bottom end model. Just not sure I can stomach a lime green colour though.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I bought the lowest spec for the frame alone. Stripped everything and sold it.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I bought the lowest spec for the frame alone. Stripped everything and sold it.

Interesting. What build did you eventually go with?

Sram, Shimano, Campag(wish they did disk brakes)

fatmax

I’m now really interested in one, the Comp in both the Smartweld and Carbon are really nice. Could be perfect for daily commuting and a potential stab at the North Coast 500 next year.

christoff
    Free Member

i got one…25% off

its nice and the Pro is definitely the one to get. i previously had the Comp lurid green…and it was great but the pro is nearly 3.5 lbs lighter and those carbon wheels are dope !!

Diverge

christoff
    Free Member

Hargrove cycles 20% + off Specialized Diverge & Roubaix !!!!

davosaurusrex

Freeborn in Horsham do 20% off RRP on everything. I got 20% off a set of ohlins forks yesterday. Still not what you’d call cheap but a £170 discount nonetheless.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Almost as if Spesh have done a price drop or something…..

😀

davosaurusrex

Nice bike BTW christoff, shit photos though!

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Give Andy at bike scene a ring normally have good specialized deals in there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

anything you buy this year will be at a serious discount to next years bought with the weaker pound 🙂

If you google the model some of the bigger sellers will apper with deals if you are lucky.

One year to the next we say a 10-15% rise in bikes in Oz due to exchange rate shifting.

andyrm
    Free Member

Spesh annual MY16 closeout sale started yesterday. Up to 25% off – I’d suggest going to one of their better dealers and asking whether the one you want is in the sale – and if not, what deal they could offer 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Purchasing a specialized diverge pro carbon. Should I wait for deals?’ is closed to new replies.