Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Puppy selection; breeder/seller etiquette… is this normal?!
  • househusband

I’ve never had a dog before and we’re quite excited! Through friends of my wife we’ve found a litter of puppies and have been in touch with the owners for a month or so; they were born last week and we went to see them for the first time on Saturday. We’ll be paying several hundred pounds for one puppy.

It seems that from the litter of six we’ll be getting pretty much last choice once friends and family have taken their pick and it sounds like we’re the first people in line to actually ‘buy’ one of the litter. To me this sounds a bit odd and more than one colleague has suggested that as we’re paying we should have more of a say rather than being amongst the last in line – and I tend to agree.

Is this normal ‘etiquette’..?!

(Before anyone suggests getting a dog from a rescue centre we have considered it but would like a puppy because it is the first dog we’ve had and we already have two cats; we want the cats to put the puppy in its place – and also to go through the whole puppy to dog process ourselved. Maybe another time.)

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Pretty much. If other had said previously next time you have a litter can I have one you’d be last in line. If shed only had 3/4 you may not have got one at all.

toppers3933
    Free Member

This doesn’t sound right. Find a proper established breederand go see them. The problem with buying a puppy is it’s very hard to be subjective(?) when presented with cute little bundles of puppyness. Take a step back and think about the whole situation. Can you see both parents etc. try and avoid buying the first puppy you find.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Owner of the sire usually gets a fee or the pick of the litter. After that it’s first come first served. If you aren’t happy with the puppies left then walk away.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

That sounds pretty normal. My dog was the last of the litter–she was brilliant, lived to be 15.5, wouldn’t have wanted any other dog. My brother’s dog was also last of the litter–he (the dog not the brother) is 2 now and a sweet-natured, healthy, happy and handsome little guy.

5thElefant
    Free Member

They’re all just bundles of fur. You can’t tell which is which. Choice is pretty irrelevant.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you are paying if you object say so now and walk away.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Plenty of puppies at rescue centres and for a lot less money.

jam-bo

more than one colleague has suggested that as we’re paying we should have more of a say rather than being amongst the last in line – and I tend to agree.

I’d be putting friends and family before a stranger with cash.

gobuchul
    Free Member

There is rescue centre in South Wales called Many Tears.

They rescue a lot of unwanted pups from the dozens of puppy farms in the area.

They have negotiated with the owners of some of the puppy farms to take the pups that would otherwise be left to die.

Might be worth a shot.

jam-bo

bear in mind if friend and family are getting first dibs, its unlikely to be a professional breeder. this is probably a good thing.

falkirk-mark

We got told which dog we were getting, the smallest timid one as it was going to a family (others were working labs) Turned out great for us the dogs temperament etc is great.

canny1
    Free Member

+1 for ManyTears
    Got one of ours from there

Aptly named website as it always gets dusty when I look at it

hora
    Free Member

Thats some serious money the breeder is making. Question- are you getting registered papers with the pup for that price?

You should be.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Question- are you getting registered papers with the pup for that price?

This is what I don’t understand. If you are not showing a dog or intend to breed for money, why would you care?

I have 2 pedigree dogs but the fact they are is of no importance.

wrecker
    Free Member
    sandwicheater

When we got our puppy they all looked the same. Who cares if it’s the one on the right or the one crapping on it’s sisters head, there puppies. Luck of the draw i’m afraid, could be yours is the only one with no heart defects or yours could be the only one that’s an idiot.

Do they come from a nice family, do the parents look ace? That should be your concerns.

What breed you getting/after?

gobuchul
    Free Member
    sharkbait
    Free Member

Sounds fair enough – if I were the breeder I’d be doing the same thing and I think you’ll find that, unless the breeder is nuts, the ‘friends and family’ will also be paying.
    If you don’t like it don’t buy one, and when you go to view if you don’t like any of the dogs available then walk away – there will be more along soon enough.

We’ll be paying several hundred pounds for one puppy

Also sounds OK…. depending upon the breed of dog and its pedigree i.e. a working dog with a very good pedigree is absolutely worth the extra if it’s going to be worked and not just a pet.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Totally normal. It’s up to the owners how they give away or sell the pups and if you don’t like it you can always walk away. You aren’t buying one of six you are getting the chance to buy the one that is left.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Hora> several hundred pounds isn’t serious money.

br
    Free Member

you are paying if you object say so now and walk away.

This.

But tbh when we bought a pup my wife had already been to see and chosen the ‘one’. She took me and I preferred the one who looked like ‘trouble’, they were only a few weeks old at this point.

We got ‘trouble’, and he’s been a great dog (8 y/o) – still feisty 🙂

CheesybeanZ

@hora , larbradoodles sell for upto £1500.00 -no papers with a mongrel.

hora
    Free Member

Wow, I’ve walked into the four-legged world of carbon Santa Cruz’s 😆

angeldust
    Free Member

Thats some serious money the breeder is making. Question- are you getting registered papers with the pup for that price?

Several hundred pounds for a puppy is nothing. As usual you are talking about something you have no idea about 😉

hora
    Free Member

As usual you are talking about something you think its overpriced and at least you’d be treated with respect etc considering the amount that you are being asked to pay

With respect, FTFY.

tonyd

I’d be putting friends and family before a stranger with cash.

Me too. I’d see this as a good sign, that they actually care where the dogs are going.

As has already been said, if you’re not happy with not getting the pick of the litter just because you’re paying then walk away. You should also consider how this looks through the breeders eyes – why would your money put you before their family/friends and does that expectation make you sound like someone they’d want a puppy to go to?

Edit: We paid £400 for our springer/cocker cross. I had a long chat with the guy that bred her (not professional breeders) and it sounded like they’d “make” about £500 profit from a litter of 9. Costs included vet fees, jabs, food, wormers, a massive cage for them all to sleep in, etc etc. What he didn’t count in his costs was having half his house turned into a dog toilet for 3-4 months. I didn’t begrudge him that money at all!

taxi25
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mention the question you asked on here to the breeder, not if you want the puppy that is available to you anyway. Amazingly arrogant thinking you should be able to jump the picking que because your a “cash” buyer.

digga
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member
    Plenty of puppies at rescue centres and for a lot less money.

^This.

Even if there were not thousands of dogs needing to be re-homed, the stories of in-bred ‘pedigree’ dogs and unscrupulous, profiteering breeders would put me off the process.

hora
    Free Member

I’d see this as a good sign, that they actually care where the dogs are going.

actually good point.

househusband

Many thank, all.

Some very good points made and I’ve found most of them very reassuring that the owners do have the interests of the puppies at heart. It’s a family, not breeders, my wife has made good friends with them and is getting almost daily updates/photos! We are getting Kennel Club papers and it is indeed hard to make any choices at several days old when they are just wee bundles of fur. I just didn’t have any inkling of the norm for this.

I did post a photo yesterday in another thread… can’t do so from work!

tillydog
    Free Member
    Onzadog
    Free Member

People should want them! They make an amazing addition to a family despite the unfortunate media image.

househusband

Thought I’d come and happily report that all has worked out well and in two weeks we’ll be taking home the very puppy we’d taken a shine to when we first met the litter:

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Whippet or terrier?

househusband

Whippet!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Excellent choice Monsieur.

Boomer approves

househusband

LOL – Brilliant pic, WYSIWYG. Thanks, Boomer.

(‘Boomer’ – Battlestar Galactica..?)

We think he’ll have some ‘character’…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

They all do. This ones mk3

Swedish and registered Crash boom bang – which is apt

So neither Battlestar nor the labrador in Independence Day 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Puppy selection; breeder/seller etiquette… is this normal?!’ is closed to new replies.