Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Punctures – Stick-on patches versus traditional rubber solution
  • Garry_Lager

Anyone have good results with those adhesive patches that you just press onto a punctured tube? My experience of using a few different ones has been pretty poor – is the classic method of rubber soln then wait and rubbery patch still top dog?

What are the roadies using to mend punctures?

antigee

self adhesive patches may be ok when new and maybe that some brands are way better than others – my experience is that they work sometimes, less so if old but that the extra minute for glue is well worth the not having uncertainty

retro83
    Free Member

I use some neoprene looking ones* I got cheap fgrom halfords. As long as you hold them onto the (partially inflated) tube for about 20 seconds they set pretty well. Not had any come off so far.

think they are ‘scab’ branded

Junkyard
    Free Member

worked ok when i have used them and used ones that were a couple of years old

z1ppy

Traditional rubber patches & vulcanising cement for me everytime, as they just work, I’ve never had any luck with self sticking ones.

soobalias
    Free Member

stickies are for emergency use only IMO

they usually work but dont offer a permanent solution, either leaking or giving up totally on some occassions. The worst bit is that if they do, the residue glue prevents a proper fix later.

i carry a working tube for the first puncture, and some stickies just in case…. then fix any puncture at home in the warm/dry with decent patches and glue.

that said, half of my bikes are tubeless.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Not had any issues with the Park Tool Super Patches in many years of usage

Weldtite Red Devil patches are utter garbage though

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Have ridden a few times in hot locations (Colorado in July, Morocco, Spain) and self adhesives have come off with the glue melting. Don’t bother with them anymore-would only ever use as get home emergency then proper fix at home. In which case do it properly first time…

gusamc
    Free Member

used Park and Leeches for ages, no issues (dry, sandpaper and clean with shirt first), press and hold, rub over using shirt and then off you go

I’ve found that Park and Lezyne work perfectly. All the other brands that I’ve tried were useless.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Punctures – Stick-on patches versus traditional rubber solution’ is closed to new replies.